By Michael Horowitz
Unaccompanied Django contains a series of solo guitar transcriptions that can benefit guitarists at any skill level.
Beginning students will find this book to be an excellent way to develop technique, learn authentic Gypsy-style chord voicings and melodic patterns, and develop a solo repertoire. Advanced students will benefit from the accurate notation and Gypsy-style fingering and picking suggestions for some of Django's most difficult phrases and chord voicings.
This book can also assist guitarists from a variety of stylistic backgrounds. Jazz guitarists who play in more contemporary styles will find the Gypsy approach to harmony an inventive and refreshing alternative to conventional jazz chord voicings. Fingerstyle guitarists will be pleased to find transcriptions for three of Django's fingerstyle guitar pieces (Naguine, Improvisation #2, and Tears). Approximately half of Django's unaccompanied guitar compositions were written in a Classical or Flamenco style and would therefore be excellent additions to the repertoire of guitarists playing in those genres. Django's unaccompanied guitar pieces sound great played fingerstyle despite the fact that most of them were originally played with a plectrum.
This 176 page spiral bound book and CD contains:
- Accurate transcriptions for sixteen Django Reinhardt unaccompanied solo guitar pieces.
- Two transcriptions of unaccompanied guitar pieces by Stochelo Rosenberg, one of the contemporary masters of Gypsy jazz guitar.
- Three Gypsy Etudes based on harmonic and melodic devices used by contemporary Gypsy guitarists such as Angelo Debarre, Boulou Ferre, Fapy Lafertin, and Bireli Lagrene.
- All transcriptions are both standard notation and tablature. Gypsy-style fingering and pick-stroke suggestions are included.
- Extensive notes for each transcription which include musical analysis and historical information.
- An appendix that includes a translation of Hugues Panassie's account of a recording session with Django on April 27, 1937.
- An audio CD with all of Django's unaccompanied recordings.