DjangoBooks.com

From the August Issue of "Guitar Player" magazine...

Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
edited June 2010 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 1,002
In case anyone is interrested, on pages 42-44, GP magazine interviews Boston blues guitarist Pater Parcek, who talks about being really into Django and gypsy jazz right now. He specifically mentions Hyperhip Media's Stochelo Rosenberg videos as being particularly helpful, so well done Denis and Wayne. He also talks about playing his electrics with gypsy picks (and I thought I might be the only one... :wink: ) and mentions Wegen picks by name. It's always nice to see any mention of GJ in magazines like Guitar player, and I hope Denis and Wayne pick up some sales from the article.

Parcek also gives props to one of my other guitar heros, Peter Green. I guess I need to check this guy out.
I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Sweet -- thanks for the heads up, Michael. Great to see some mainstream coverage.

As an aside: I originally got into Django's music thanks to an article in Guitar Player magazine (or maybe it was Guitar World...I don't know the difference) in the 1990s, where Jimmy Page was talking about his influences. After that, there was no looking back. :-)

Adrian
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Peter sold me a Park a couple of years ago. A great guitar, which was sent to a fellow in AZ (perhaps in the Hot Club of Phoenix).

Charlie
  • DuozonaDuozona Phoenix, AZNew
    Yes indeed Charlie, Ryan Vance has that Park now, its a great compliment to my own Park. We did not know it was previously owned by Peter Green, cool history.

-Chuck
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I think that was Peter Parcek that owned the Park, not Peter Green, although I did learn that Green's legendary Les Paul (which sold for a coo 2 million) was purchased at the Selmer Shop in Charing Cross in London.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Hi Chuck:

I saw a HC of P vid the other day (Troublant Bolero - you sounded great), and thought that looked like my old Park. I don't think I connected directly with Ryan - it was one of his friends that facilitated the purchase. Great guitar - I miss that one. Yes, as Michael says, it was Peter Parcek, not Peter Green.

Charlie
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Michael:

Thanks for the heads up re: mention in Guitar Player. I gave up on GP magazine a few years ago, so I'm glad MB caught the article.

Denis is much more open-minded about music than I am. He has told me in the past that some of the "speed metal" guitarists are really into gypsy jazz and our videos in particular.

As for Peter Green, it's a well known story that he was heavily into blues, with his band Fleetwood Mac, when he went into a store and heard a Django record. Apparently, after that, he disappeared for years, secretly studying Django's style until he re-appeared as Tony Green!?!?!

cheers

Wayne
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Michael:

It's a common Toronto guitar player's story that Bloomfield's Les Paul came through Toronto in the late '80s. The way the story is told almost every guitarist had a shot at it for only $5,000 but that was too much back then. I think I last heard this from Chris at the 12th fret. John from Club Django also tells this tale.

Maybe they were mistaken? Maybe it was Peter Parcek's Les Paul, not Peter Green's?

Wayne