DjangoBooks.com

Bruel Album Cover Photo

CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
edited March 2006 in History Posts: 271
I've seen this Patrick Bruel album in my local record store and have been fascinated by the cover. The designer Photoshopped Bruel's face onto an old photo. Can anyone identify the musicians or the photographer?

- Rod

B000066JN4.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Comments

• nwilkinsnwilkins New
    unless someone recognizes that particular photo I think we'll need a higher resolution image to see the guitarist's face.
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    Thanks anyway. Still, it's a nifty picture (despite Mr. Bruel's intrusion). Is that a banjo hanging on the wall behind the guitarist?
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    OK, I'm hooked (didn't take long). It looks like a banjo, but it's not on the wall, is it? There's a pole there, to which is attached that long string of... lights? a garland? It's not too far in front of the wall. Maybe it's a tambourine?

I don't know who the guitarist is, but he doesn't look healthy.

Anyone make out the sign on the window? Here's my guess:

Piccolo d'Auvergne
    Bally's
    Blanc [unreadable]
    Grand Bal Musette

Cheers,
    Ando
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    edited February 2005 Posts: 527
    Deleted
    Hey, I think they are sitting on "Thonet"-Chairs, but I can´t figure out if this are originals or replicas. Please let me know what you think about this. :lol:

Best regards
    Barengero
    Joking apart: I can not recognize a tailpiece at the guitar. I believe that Selmer never made oval-hole guitars without tailpieces (he made D-hole guitars without tailpieces in the early days). So I think that the guitarist either uses a selmer-copy or the tailpiece is not toi be seen on the Photograph because there is some blinding.

Best regards and sorry for my foolish posting just before…

Barengero
  • brandoneonbrandoneon Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, France✭✭✭
    The photo is from the collection of Studio Harcourt.
    http://www.studio-harcourt.com
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, since the photo could most likely be dated to the mid 1930's (at the earliest) since the guitarist is playing a Selmer...

And it shouldn't be much later since the title "between the two" refers to the world wars.

I bought this a few years ago, it has some (too little) fine playing by Rodolphe Raffalli and Florin Nicolescu, some OK singing by guests on a couple of tunes and some really horrible arrangements. He had a video on Mon Amant De Saint-jean which I saw on French TV during one of the Samois-trips.