DjangoBooks.com

Aleman Sessionography / CD Checklist

trumbologytrumbology San FranciscoNew
edited December 2005 in History Posts: 124
Hi all.

Using the data graciously posted online by Hans Koert (http://people.zeelandnet.nl/koerthchkz/ ... graphy.htm), I created a sessionography of Aleman that you can use to figure out what you want to purchase on CD and what you may already have. There are a couple of tracks on a couple of CDs I can't place (these are noted at the end under the images of the CDs in question). All corrections and comments welcome.

Neil H.

Comments

• BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi trumbology,

great job!!! Very useful to have such a fine list. :P

There is only one thing I am wondering about. Are you sure that in the session Paris 13. June 1938, "Montmartre Blues" is really the same tune as "Bagatelle"? In my list I have different numbers and I think there has been 5 tunes in this session.

Montmartre Blues SW 30 OSW 30-1
    Bagatelle SW 41 OSW 29-1

But maybe I am wrong.

Best,
    Barengero
  • trumbologytrumbology San FranciscoNew
    Hey Barengero,

No, I'm not sure.

I think I was confused by the color-coding that Hans uses on his tune-o-graphy; I was misreading it as an alternate title rather than a separate tune altogether.

Looking again, I see he has two different matrix numbers for the the tunes. I don't own a copy of that session, so it didn't jump out at me.

Thanks for the correction.

Neil
  • SoulShadeSoulShade NW Ohio, USANew
    Trumbology-
    'Great list. Thanks. I've not heard any of his stuff yet, but it's "on the list". -s
    SoulShade wrote:
    Trumbology-
    'Great list. Thanks. I've not heard any of his stuff yet, but it's "on the list". -s

It is but a shrub planted in front of the gleaming marble edifice of Hans Koert's Tune-o-graphy. Hans did all the heavy lifting, so anyone into Aleman should drop him a line to say thanks.

I think his contact info and website guestbook can be found here:

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/koerthchkz/ ... .htm#email
  • MaxthemanMaxtheman FinlandNew
    Hi from a new member, and thanks for the list! I think you have missed one reissue cd though, Oscar Alemán y su conjunto: "Con Ritmos de Brasil". It's the same EMI series as "Grandes Exitos" vols 1 & 2 and "Nada mas que..."

max
    Maxtheman wrote:
    I think you have missed one reissue cd though, Oscar Alemán y su conjunto: "Con Ritmos de Brasil". It's the same EMI series as "Grandes Exitos" vols 1 & 2 and "Nada mas que..."

max

Cool--thanks for the tip. The only EMI Aleman I currently own is "Nada mas que..." the others being for some reason less common on the big internet retail sites.

Just as an aside, if I remember correctly, "Nada mas que..." complements the Acoustic Disc's 1950s coverage very nicely--I think there is no or very little overlap. While I probably like the 1940s Odeon stuff on the Acoustic Disc even more than the 1950s stuff, the 1950s-1970s stuff has grown on me a lot since I've revisited it.

Since I spent like 10 hours doing the checklist last week, I'm kind of burned out on it for now. Anyone who wants to download it, edit or amend it, and repost it is welcome to :D

Best,

Neil

EDIT: I updated the list myself to include "Con Ritmos de Brasil."
    This compilation has, I believe, four tracks that overlap with the Acoustic Disc set out of 20 total.

BTW, Hans K tipped me off that the Virgil Records listed in his discography is run by a gentleman named Néstor Sapere <[email protected]>. I emailed Néstor about his Aleman Odeon set, which I believe is complete Odeon recordings 1941-57. His website is way out of date, but it's at: <http://www.geocities.com/virgiljazz/vjcds.htm&gt;

Néstor replied to me on Nov. 29th as follows:

"Yes, the Oscar Aleman cd's are for sale and cost U$S 12.- each one plus mailing by registered mail. Up to about 6 discs the shipping cost is U$S 8.-. This work have not been done anywhere else as far as I know, so it's a very interesting one for a real Oscar Aleman collector.
    I use to send the discs without its jewel cases but with the backs and covers included so you may reassemble the Cd's there by means of the usual cases that are inexpensive; this way saves shipping cost and avoids the danger of cracking the jewel cases that are a bit fragile.
    As mine is a small enterprise I don't work with credit cards or the like, but I may receive money in a bank account I have, so if you may want to do so, I can give you the name of the bank and the account Nº and you may do the money transfer from a local bank there to mine. You may also send US bills in a registered letter if the amount is not much covering the bills inside so they cannot be seen from the outside."

As far as I can tell, that would be the only way to get ahold of a batch of tracks including:

Marechiare, Oscarindas (1942), Rezeze, Tea for Two, Better Not Roll Those Blue Blue Eyes, Dulce Hogar, Blue Room, Hombre Mio (1952), I Got Rhythm (1952), Cherie, Neurasténico, Moreno, Sweet Georgia Brown, After You've Gone, Juca, and Paradise.

I haven't ordered Néstor's discs yet; anyone who's got them please drop me a line.

Neil