DjangoBooks.com

Jan 31- Feb 2, 2012--- any GJ in London, England?

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited January 2012 in Europe Posts: 1,854
My wife and I will be in London for just two days on our way to avoid the Canadian winter down in Malaga, Spain.

If there are any GJ groups performing in London those two days we're there, we'd love to see 'em!

Will

PS The only one I've been able to find so far is "Django's Tiger", but they're up in Cambridge!
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
    Oh man you are just going to miss angelo with DJM by one day at Le
    Q but they do have a jam on.

http://quecumbar.co.uk/listings/

Micky
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Wow, thanks, Micky... free admittance, and it starts at 7pm, which should go pretty well with our jetlag, we'll probably be asleep by 9.

Are you gonna be there? If so, I'll buy you a drink...

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
    No will, I won't be around but I'm sure some of the London based guys who visit this site go regularly. Enjoy your warm winter.
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
    That's too bad, anybody from Liverpool named "Maca" is an automatic friend of mine :)

When in your city in 2009, my wife and I had a chance to visit the Beatles museum down by the docks, and then we had a thrill driving by the houses of both Lennon and McCartney, and visiting Penny Lane's famous roundabout, which has become rather tatty of late...

OK, I know what you're thinking--- stupid tourists!

But it meant a lot to ageing Beatles fans like us!

Will

PS I was also happy to hear Paul McCartney specifically cite Django as a musician he loved, along with Tchaikovsky, while being interviewed when receiving the Gershwin Prize for songwriting in the US a couple of years ago.

Ha ha, glad to be a friend Will. Any Beatles fan is a friend of mine and I'm glad you got to look around while you were here! I went to see Sir Paul again last month here in Liverpool,nearly 3hrs without a break. I hope I'm as fit as him when I'm his age! Actually whilst on that topic it was on this day that The Cavern Club opened in 1957.
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
    I have a buddy, John Kelly, here in Canada who grew up in Merseyside. He was one of the trad jazz lovers at the Cavern who used to boo the visiting rock bands.

Kelly ended up playing bass in a jazz trio led by an organ player. One night they had a gig at some local hall that had an upstairs and a downstairs hall. Kelly and his buddies were out in the parking lot unloading their gear when a longhaired guy from the band playing the other hall came over and asked to borrow an electrical cord.

So they loaned it to him. But after they finished their gig, the other band was long gone along with their electrical cord.

And that is why every time Kelly and his buddies would see the Beatles on TV, they would all be yelling, "Bring back our cord, you thieving bastards!"

Kelly maintains to this day that the Beatles would have been a total failure without his electrical cord.