DjangoBooks.com

Tremolo Questions/critique

kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in Technique Posts: 421
Here are the questions I have:

1. Do you use the same technique/muscle group for high speed and med speed tremolo. When I see Joscho burning it seems his wrist is locked and the movement is coming entirely from his arm, but it could be the camera/eye just isn't picking up the movement.

2. Do you angle your pick? I've been doing it with my pick maybe at a 30 degree angle to make it roll over the strings a little better. Is it better to attack the strings directly?

3. What is a good (16th note tremolo) A. Intermediate tempo, B. Professional tempo, C. Wow that's incredible tempo? I think I've clocked Joscho at around 220 16th notes.

4. When practicing at really low speeds like 60-90 bpm do you try to have your pick rolling smoothly across the strings or do you more or less whip the strings?

Comments

• kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Am I synocopating at the 170 tempo?
    Okay so searching through years of posts on tremolo I hear people saying that you actually should use a 90 degree pick angle. Is that preference/stylistic or is that standard practice? When I first started working on temolo I was doing the 90 degree thing but it came across as more of an effect than a full-throated tremolo.
  • UltraspontaneUltraspontane ✭✭
    Sounds pretty decent to me. I'm working on my tremelo as well.

Doug Martin has a great tremelo strum. You can see him use it in this vid: http://youtu.be/_JI1vOt-x50
  • Mark DSMark DS New
    Here's another one to check out - it's Stochelo Rosenberg teaching the Dark Eyes Django Reinhardt solo, so you get 2 different camera angles. You can see the part with the tremolo 2 minutes in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMDqjfODTyQ
    Thanks those videos are helpful. Reviewing a couple Joscho videos I think I'm just seeing that wrong due to the speed - he is doing it from the wrist just like you would expect.

Could anyone suggest some good goals tempo wise? What would be the solid intermediate tempo and what would be the solid advanced/professional tempo?