DjangoBooks.com

Microphones

Hi there,

I would like to know if any of you has experience with playing with a mic in front of your guitar?
I now use a mini-mic (AT) in the soundhole of my guitar. I just want to know if a mic, specially for instruments, would give me a better sound and how does in handle feedback. I am talking about a mic no more expensive than $ 300..

Audio Technica sells mics like this:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/audio_technica_at_2031.htm

Would it be any good or should I stick to the AT mini-mic? :?:
Hope someone can give me some good advice
Thanks!
Arjen

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    There are pros and cons for each and it is a matter of personal preference I think.

My experience is a good stand-alone mic does sound better, BUT, you have to keep the guitar up pretty close to get the same kind of volume before feedback. This has the advantage of being a volume control (lean in for solos, back for rhythm) but requires practice and some portion of your brain activity that might be better spent on the music. There is also the issue of mic stands which add to the gear to be carried and setup. Some gig spaces are very tight and a boom mic stand hogs valuable real estate.

I've tried 3-4 mics including a good condenser mic but frankly have had the best luck with the Shure SM57. Very reliable, tough, low feedback, seems to preserve the acoustic tone well and fairly reasonable cost wise. About $100 in the US.

Suggest you get or borrow a good mic and stand and try it. Even if you don't use it all the time, it does come in handy occasionally. I keep both in the trunk of my car all the time just in case. It has come in handy a number of times, just this weekend for instance. One system doesn't seem to work in all situations, all the time, so if you gig a lot, you'll probably want several solutions close at hand for every gig.

All that said, I usually grab my AT mic first when the situation calls for a mic. Small, light, gets the job done though to me the sound is a little brittle some times. If there's a stage with lots of room and a sound system, a Shure 57 on a stand really sounds great.

The final piece of mic/pickup gear I keep handy is a magnetic pickup. I use a Peche a la Mouce. Mics are great when you can get enough volume before feedback, but sometimes you just can't get there. The mag pickup may not be the acoustic sound you want, but it will get the job done. The Mouche is pretty good sounding though. It is the only pickup I have ever used that can be plugged in to an amp with the EQ set flat and sounds just plain fat. All the others I have tried have been very brittle sounding and require tons of EG which does nothing for the acoustic sound.

CB
  • PaganiniPaganini New
    Craig,

Thanks for your information. Will see if I can try a Shure SM57. Seems to be a good price! :lol:
    regards
    Arjen
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    .....Be careful if you buy one used from a non licensed dealer. There are numerous warnings of counterfeit Model 58s and probably 57s in the last couple years.
  • patrolpatrol Greece,Athens✭✭✭ Eimers & Goulielmos Antique
    Hello, I am seeking for a microfone in order to have natural acoustic sound.
    I already have a stimer but sometimes I need natural sound too.Furthermore, my amplifier is an AER COMPACT 60.
    I was thinking of buying this microfone

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/produc ... ifications

what do yo think?
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    The DPA's are fantastic. I play with a guy who has one, and it sounds great. The gooseneck mount is great too for getting the mic into a good position and avoiding exaggerated bass from the proximity effect. They're not cheap, but they're really good. Be careful of the cable though - it's pretty slender and you wouldn't want to get it stuck under a chair leg too many times.

Jon
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I've got one of these on order:
    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ischell-pickups--ischell-pickups.html

In fact, all three guitarists in my band are getting them to try out. I'll post my impressions after it arrives. It should be about midway between a clip-on condenser and a Peche in terms of feedback avoidance. We've been using the AT831b, great in most of our venues, but almost unusable in some. Good floor mikes are fantastic in concert settings, if you have the luxury of a good sound person to manage things for you.

The Peche is certainly not an acoustic sound by any means, but as Craig says, there are some situations when you simply have to be loud and not worry about feedback. It's nice to have a range of options in your kit.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles