DjangoBooks.com

DC music school - Gonzalo's microphone

Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
edited April 2012 in Recording Posts: 542
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone knew what type of microphone Gonzalo is using in the DC music School ?
Where are the wires ? Is it all mounted inside already ?
It looks like a simple lavalliere microphone, probably with the wiring all inside... but I'm not sure.

http://www.dc-musicschool.com/catalogue ... 189932995/
- JG

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Joli, I'd imagine you could contact Denis Chang directly, at the school website - very helpful and generous guy.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • jscook777jscook777 ✭✭✭✭
    JG,

From the looks of it probably an Audio Technica brand large-diaphgram condenser on a mic stand just outside of the camera's view, something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SunHM4Rdcrw

Like you I think the audio is done exceptionally well on these new tutorials. You should shoot him an email through his website, he was super fast replying to a question I had...

-Jason
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Yeah, Gonzalo uses an AT clip-on condenser, an AT831b or similar. It come with a guitar clip, which is also available separately:
    http://tinyurl.com/8793wmn

He keeps the clip permanently fastened in the sound hole of his guitar, and that's what you see in the videos, in which the mike is not in use (you'd see the wire if it were). When he plays on stage, he simply pops the mike in.

The clip is usually mounted in such a way that the mike sits on top of the guitar, but Gonzalo actually reverses it so that it is situated just inside the soundhole. I've tried it, and it seems to reduce the boominess that you sometimes get with the top mount.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Thanks !
    - JG
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    ha missed the boat on this one... sorry i haven't been here in a while

thanks for the compliments about the sound.

As it was mentioned above, Gonzalo is not using his audio technica for the video lessons.

I m either using a Gefell M930 or a Neumann KM184... I try to place the mic away from the camera s shooting zone so it doesn't get in the way.

I m using a Great River MP2NV as preamp...

I then do a bit of extra touch up in post prod with the EQ to remove some of the annoying frequencies that are very common in GJ guitars. I also have a great tape simulation plugin called the UAD Studer A800 , I use it to give it a bit of an extra bite by driving the input a little bit, and I also open up the sound of the guitar with it...

For ambiance, I use Altiverb...

No compression, and then I boost the gain a little bit in the mastering...

I'm not going after studio CD quality , but just something clean and clear for video purposes
    KlausUS
    Hi Dennis,

I would be interested to know what you consider the annoying frequencies in GJ guitars.

Kind regards

Brodie
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I would be interested to know what you consider the annoying frequencies in GJ guitars.
    ALL of them! :twisted:
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Microphone placement can make a big difference of course, but when playing rhythm, those frequencies tend to show up no matter where u place the microphone... it depends on the tonality of the song as well

Try playing rhythm guitar, in real life performance, we don't usually notice them as our ears just ignore em, but if u pay attention you will hear lots of ringing overtones... this becomes very apparent when recording with high end gear in my experience

587hz tends to be an annoying one (which is the D on the high E string)

and the area between 220 - 270 hz tends to produce some of theses as well

when i have time maybe i can post clips of unprocessed sound vs processed sound and u guys can hear for yourselves
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Denis, I'd love to hear this when you get the chance. I'm listening to Hono right now, comparing to Gonzalo's rhythm thoughts, and trying to find my own tyro self in this sense of overtones and "sec" playing.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    Yeah, Denis, all kidding aside, I'd also love to hear some clips of processed vs. unprocessed. I've tried doing some recording and have generally been less than satisfied with the result. Any pointers on processing would be very helpful.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles