DjangoBooks.com

Where I can find sheet music?

fabrixfabrix New
edited February 2012 in Repertoire Posts: 9
Hello there,

I'm looking for Bossa Dorado sheet music and in general someone can suggest me where I have to go to get or buy any sheet music?

tx
fabrix

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    It's on page 25 of the Django Fakebook:
    http://edenswingtrio1.jimdo.com/grilles-et-partitions/
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • fabrixfabrix New
    Thank you klaatu!

it's very interesting book of scores!! I noticed that for each song there is only the first page of the score. If I would have full version score where I can buy it?

thx
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Most of them are only one page. They're just fake sheets. I assumed that was what you were looking for. Did you have something else in mind?
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Ben, thank you for the links as well. Very odd timing - they used the Django Fakebook quite a bit this weekend, at the Festival jam. Wasn't even aware there was a DR Fakebook, I only came to know of its history by googling it the last couple of days, which brought me back to this site, and the 2008 thread(s) on the subject (Matt, thank you for all your generosity!).

A quick look through "Fred's Book" is also really interesting. One thing that struck me is that Bossa Dorado in that book is in Em, though I've only seen it in Dm. Can you tell me, are these grilles/signatures (Bossa Dorado as one example, perhaps also the tunes in different keys), unique to Fred Loiseau, or are they fairly canonical, and this is just a variation I haven't seen?

And Fred (Loiseau), if you happen to see this, thank you as well, for your grille book.

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
    Paul, I took a quick look at Fred's grilles and noticed that same thing. Bossa Dorado in Em is odd. I haven't had the time to go through his stuff in detail, I'm rather swamped with band stuff right now. I'll try to look at them more closely next week, but maybe someone else can go over them in the meantime and check them out.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    Thanks, Ben. Funny this one popped up for me as well - must be so used to playing and seeing jam mates in Dm on the tune, it grabbed my eyes. I wouldn't know how "canonical" the grilles are, in general, because I don't yet know enough about....well, I was about to write something, but the only honest thing would be, I "don't yet know enough" about anything GJ, so appreciate your and others' experience.

I am starting to hear patterns, discerning chords behind the solo lines, etc., when listening, but nothing owned, re: keys, progressions, etc. It would be nice to just be able to drop into a jam, not only know the tune, but how the keys and progressions fit into DR's/GJ "logic." Not saying it well, but guess I'm saying I hope to get to the point where it's the pattern behind the stuff, and not the rote memory of a jam list, that will start to come home. Anyway, I ramble....thanks again, Ben.
    -Paul

• SpaloSpalo England✭✭✭✭ Manouche Guitars "Modele Jazz Moreno" No.116, 1980's Saga Blueridge "Macaferri 500", Maton 1960's Semi, Fender Telecaster, Aria FA65 Archtop
    Try here, it's all free.

http://www.wikifonia.org/

SP
  • Somebody should tell wikiphonia that their site doesn't work with iPad

All I need to take now with iRealB's chords for 400 odd GJ tunes and 1200 odd jazz tunes

Hopefully one day will be able to access real fake books with notation do melody line.

If one is looking for transcription of the solos well, the best thing to do IMO is to forget the rest and just learn it the way the gypsies do, phrase by phrase off the record, cd, teacher etc.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    klaatu wrote:
    Paul, I took a quick look at Fred's grilles and noticed that same thing. Bossa Dorado in Em is odd. I haven't had the time to go through his stuff in detail, I'm rather swamped with band stuff right now. I'll try to look at them more closely next week, but maybe someone else can go over them in the meantime and check them out.

This came up for me again, as in doing Hono Winterstein's voicings in the DC Gypsy school series, he's also in Em, and I have to say, I've come to prefer the sound. Some of that is just his voicings choices - sorry, not adept enough to say this properly, but as a for instance, B7alt as 7x7888 and Em9 as 775777 sounds much better to me than what I was playing in Dm, in barred A7 (57x687) and Dm (557765). I transposed back to Dm using these "latin" (again, sorry, sound more latin to me, so for want of a better term) voicings, and I still prefer it in Em.

Thoughts on this, anyone?
    -Paul

• Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    I just realised that wikifonia just closed doors at the end of 2013 because of license / copyrights issues.
    It seems that people are now moving to musescore: http://musescore.com
    - JG