DjangoBooks.com

V-Picks "Big Fattie"

Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
Just ordered one of these 5+mm picks, anyone try one of these yet?? I've got a Diamond model that I like for GJ, and I use the small 2.75 with my Tele.
Any thoughts,experience,dreams,aspirations,yada yada??
Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco

Comments

• StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    I tried one of the super thick V picks at Westwood Music and it felt good and was loud, but a little too thick for me. Seems like alot of GJ players like 'em big and fat, so it might work great for you. I prefer the 2.75 mm (guess that's thin by GJ standards) large rounded triangular ones in the pearloid finish. The stuff the V picks are made of gives a nice fat mid-rangey tone with a smooth high end. They seem to roll the edges which helps glide on the strings. Good grippage and they're not too expensive. Have found these picks respond very well to certain guitars better than others.
    Swang on,
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I haven't tried the Big Fattie (yet), but I recently started using a Wegen 5mm that I've had laying around here for a couple of years, and I love it! I originally bought it just to confound a friend who had trouble with thick gypsy picks in general, but now I'm finding it totally awesome. Really easy to dig into the string and produce a huge tone. I'll check out the Big Fattie at Django in June this year.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Ironic, Ben, just got my 5mm Wegen from Michael in the mail today. Used it this last weekend at a fest, loved it for rhythm playing. "Like butter," as one guy called it. Looking forward to using this.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I've been using one for the last couple of years. Feels very nice for rhythm playing, but on faster tunes and waltzes it slows you down a bit - too big a distance to move past the strings maybe? I've recently switched to a 3.5 mm wegen
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Wim, at the jam we were joking that these thick picks are approaching the width of the string gap.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Yes, I've tried the 7mm wegen and it pretty much was..
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    Oh, and I've also got a Mandolin model on the way too. I'm using the Wegen right now, but I'm courious to see if it has as profound effect on my mando playing as the small one has had on my Telecaster picking. It's the only thick pick I've tried yet that retains highs and upper mids.
  • englishjanetenglishjanet NetherlandsNew
    About picks I like the wegen 5mm and the Jim Dunlop Stubby 3mm :) I play a 0hole leftie GJ guitar from Leo Eimers .

Janet
    The Mandolin V-pick, the "Tremolo" arrived on Wednesday, and it too is fantastic!! It's only about 1mm or so and has some flex to it, but...what a great pick!!!
    When I took it out of the package, I kinda looked at it and "made-a-face", I thought it would sound like nothing....WRONG!!! It's damned near a perfect Mandolin pick. I'm ordering more today!!
    It showed up today, wow this thing is HUGE!! I swear you could hunt with this thing. I only got to try it out briefly, but it's LOUD, and not cumbersome at all. More to come whe
    I can try it out longer.