DjangoBooks.com

DG 300 JJ - cracked tailpiece insert; upgrade - worth it?

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
Hi folks -

Well, think I might have figured out a buzz issue, just noticed a pretty decent crack along the grain of the tailpiece insert of my DG-300, couldn't figure out why it was buzzing, when humidity wasn't the issue.

I have a friend who is a luthier, who could easily repair the insert (and put in some tailpiece leather, while we're at it....wouldn't mind seeing if I could dampen the sound just a bit).

Question goes out - anyone have a thought on repairing the tailpiece, or whether I might experience a nice uptick in sound on this model, if going for one of the tailpiece upgrades (whether DR Asian, or one of the others listed here).

Thoughts?
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Well, not a lot of action, so perhaps this will stir some player/luthier thoughts (any help appreciated). The insert issue is an easy, cosmetic fix.

In an attempt to dampen the reverb/overtone issue a bit, I took a small piece of cloth and placed in under the tailpiece.

The result is a drier tone closer to what I was hoping for. However, now I've an issue on the high and low E strings. Esp. on the high, fret buzz between frets 3-5 almost sound like a sitar. Not so bad on the low E. Action is high enough I think, at 4mm low E at 12th, so not sure why I'm getting buzz now, with the cloth.

Really, the bottom line to what I'm asking, what are people's feelings on a DR tailpiece upgrade, in terms of making a significant contribution to drying out sound on the Gitanes (I don't find my 300 too unruly in this way, just a bit more reverb, etc., than I would like. Perhaps I just need to save for a more premium guitar altogether, though I do appreciate my guitar, generally).

Thanks for whatever thoughts any might have.
    -Paul

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Have you tried replacing the bridge? That is usually the best thing you can do to reduce overtone ringing. A tailpiece upgrade and leather also helps but I think a good bridge will have the most effect.
    Hey Michael, thanks for the reply. I actually bought a number 3 (Dupont, ebony) from you, a few years back. A local luthier tweaked it, and my guitar, setup was nice. To be truthful, I've enjoyed the tone ever since, just trying for a little more dryness, though I may be trying to make a Dupont/& Co. out of a lesser guitar, I realize. I read one of your comments in searching through, and it seems the tailpiece issue can help tone, but not significantly?
    -Paul

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    good to know you already has some success with the bridge. Yes, a tailpiece upgrade should also help but as you said, it won't make a Dupont out of it. :D

Generally the nicer tailpieces don't ring as much so that should fix some of the problems you're having.
    Thanks, Michael. DR ordered.

Paul
    -Paul