DjangoBooks.com

New Hungarian Violin/Guitar Videos

tommydavytommydavy ✭✭
edited March 2012 in Welcome Posts: 25
http://www.youtube.com/embed/OSRYcUBtlU0

http://www.youtube.com/embed/gfQ-aggblkE

Recorded with the help of Denis Chang up in Montreal as a fun little series of videos with Luanne Homzy. I hope you find them enjoyable! Too often this style within the jazz manouche world gets overlooked. I hope this helps shed some light on it!

Tommy

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Beautiful playing by both!

The Hungarian rhythm guitar style is quite different from the gypsy pompe. Lots of upstrokes and alternating bass notes.

Question: When you are alternating up-and-down strokes, is it down-up-down-up or up-down-up-down? The video hiccups so much on my computer that I can't tell for sure.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • lezardlezard IrelandNew
    That's great! I'd love to learn that style.
  • tommydavytommydavy ✭✭
    Those strums are generally down-up-down. If anyone wants it slowed down I would be happy to record some examples.

Cheers,

Tommy

www.tommydavy.com
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    That would be great.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • tommydavytommydavy ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODVVdE15vME

I will make a video shortly explaining some of the basics of the style and post it. Here is another cut of a famous romanian tune.

Tommy

www.tommydavy.com
  • alberto250579alberto250579 pordenone italy✭✭✭
    fantastic! I love this style of playing. sometimes I see some young Hungarian was passing through my town, playing this kind of repertoire. every time I stop to listen for hours. most of the time are in 3: violin, viola and accordion, but sometimes there is a guitarist, so I happened to stop me playing a little with them and ask for some advice, but unfortunately this happens for only one week during the year.
    any kind of explanation you give will be greatly appreciated! I was waiting to see some teaching materials of this type of style for at least 5 years, and finally I see someone who works there. great!
    This is fantastic stuff, Tommy. Your rhythm work is amazing. I've been wanting to learn more about this style - it's a lot more complex than I realized.

I sent the link to our violinist so he can get sick, too. :wink:
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • tommydavytommydavy ✭✭
    Thanks so much. Im glad you like them! I am working on making a few videos for you guys and will post them ASAP!

Tommy

www.tommydavy.com
  • alberto250579alberto250579 pordenone italy✭✭✭
    I just say thank you!!!! Are you going to make some lesson video on Denis Chang Music School?
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    Hi Tommy,

You both sound so good! So much expression, and great ensemble work - really loving the videos. I was curious as to how you went about learning these tunes...did you learn them by ear, or is there some sheet music in existence that I could get my hands on (I'd particularly love to get the violin sheet music if you have it - Czardas I've got, but the others would be great).

Anyway, thanks for your inspiring playing!

Jon