DjangoBooks.com

Topsy Turn-Around

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Repertoire Posts: 1,471
Hi all -

I'm sure this is an easy one, but I'm wondering what to use to turn the tune around. Given that the tune has I-bVII-bVI-V as its main motif, in the last 3 measures, using Hono Winterstein, I've got [Cm/Bb7]/[Ab7/G7]/Cm.

(I use Cm6). Tried using I-V, Cm6-Ab7 in the last measure, but it sounds a little, "eh." Any suggestions?
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    edited March 2012 Posts: 184
    Great Blues Tune! -
    I assume you are writing about the "A" Section. In general there is a descending BASS line from the key chord Cm (3rd position chord) to Bb on the low E string (little finger) then a Ab7 and G7 chord. Solo wise in the "A" section the Bb is not "necessary" before the Ab7 and G7 turnaround.
    Cm6 chord does not sound very good at the 3rd fret but OK at the 8th fret but you have to use your ear to move bass line in that area of fret board.
    ........I like Django's Jazz in Paris version on "Django's Blues"! That lead sheet can be found at http://www.edenswingtrio1.jimdo.com that you know about.
    ........Hope this helps - Rocky
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Rocky. Yep, I fret the C at the 8th, and walk down. Agreed, it's such an old-feeling tune. I was just wondering what to do after the Cm in the last measure, as written, and as I found out, it's just easy enough to go to the V, or just do the main motif, even though A starts up with it again. As usual, I was looking for a complicated answer to a simple question. :oops:

Thanks for the link as well - not sure if it's on my end, but I got a "problem loading page" when I tried to open it.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.