DjangoBooks.com

Voicings - trouble - Robin's Books

gjazzgjazz Atlanta, Ga. USANew
edited January 2005 in Pearl Django Play-Along Vol.1 Posts: 9
It was mentioned that Robin Noland's Books produce some bad voicings for some group settings.

Could someone elaborate on this?

Thanks,

gjazz

Comments

• gregrubygregruby Moderator
    I'm not sure which voicing are being referred to. Robin plays beautiful chords and Kevin is an amazing rhythm player.

Sometimes, if the voicings aren't mutually agreed upon, harmonic clashes can occur in a group setting. Make sure everyone is using the same changes.

Greg Ruby
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    One of the things they may have meant is Robin's Rhythm Changes-he often uses a 13b9 as the last chord (this shape for a G13b9):

----------
    --5------
    --4------
    --3------
    ----------
    --4------

It's possible another guitarist would be playing a G root there, which could muddy the waters. Hope that helps.

Best,
    Jack.
  • gjazzgjazz Atlanta, Ga. USANew
    Good idea, I'll have to keep that in mind, and watch to see what the others are doing.

Thanks,

Gjazz
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    perhaps that rumour came from a group who were mixing Cosimini or GadjoDrom chord voicings with the Robin Nolan ones? in that case, there is no definitive answer. at the very least, you will learn something from this experience given that your ear actually hears any chord clashing. in that case you can try to copy the chords of the person sitting across from you and you learn even more!
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    djangology wrote:
    in that case you can try to copy the chords of the person sitting across from you and you learn even more!

...I had a real Abbott & Costello moment doing this lately-we could both hear the clash, so I started to switch over to what he was doing just as he switched to what I'd been doing. Of course, once that happened, we both switched back. And once that happened...well, you get the idea. Everything went very Phillip Glass for a moment.

Best,
    Jack.