DjangoBooks.com

Dupont MD-50E....metallic overtones

I've been trying to figure out what is causing some really prominent, metallic overtones on my Dupont. I've read threads related to adding leather to the tailpiece, but it appears my Dupont already has that. These overtones seem most prominent on my high "E" string on B, Bb, and C (the C, in particular). Coincidentally, I also get an annoying buzz on my G string playing C at the 5th fret. At first I thought, it's the frets, or the bridge binding, but the metallic character of the sound makes me feel that maybe the tailpiece is still at fault. I tried weaving a shoelace through the strings (between the bridge and tailpiece, and this may have quieted things, but not completely. Any thoughts? Is this a common issue on Selmer style guitars?

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    If it were open strings I'd tell you to check the nut as the slots could be pinching the string or need a little lubrication. Since the notes are fretted and you think the frets aren't an issue.

If you have no access to another hand, capo the fret where the buzz is and hold the bridge as you pluck the string, then hold the tailpiece, possibly the individual string pole mount thing itself. Or have someone help you and hold these parts as you play.

If all that check out I'd tell you to start eyeballing some frets. It doesn't take much to interfere.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    I'm no expert, but your action may be too low. Seems like most GJ makers (and guitar players in general) have a fetish for low action. I shimmed the bridge on my Dell Arte (used trimmed down wide, flat icecream sticks...apparently Maple) to raise the action and it plays and sounds much better IMHO. Shimming seems to be quite common (from Django with his matchcover or metro ticke to Jimmy with his pick). No buzzing anywhere and fewer overtones. The strings may have some play on this too. What brand and guage are you using? I prefer Argie 11's for stiffer action.
    Swang on,
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Buzz could be a setup related issue... If you'd like a drier sound you might want to try Gallis V27 silk and steels, they sure make my Dupont sound sweeter and get rid of a lot of overtones.
    Some harmonic ringing is normal though...
  • dlincolndlincoln DFW/TexasNew
    Thanks for helping out guys. I really don't think it's a fret buzz, and the action is not all that low. Perhaps my description is a bit nebulous. The sound is really abrasive, and is more of a phenomenon as the note is dying out (or, maybe that's when it makes it's bad-self noticed). I'm beginning to feel like it is some errant, sympathetic vibration.

HotTinRoof, I did the capo trick, and held down the bridge. I think it was distinctly better. So, I think I learned something, but what?

Thanks so much, guys.

Dave
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Is the sound akin to something like a metallic "banjo like" overtone? If it is, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest you try slightly adjusting the trussrod, and would almost bet money that it has something to do with your trussrod. I find that through humidity and temperature changes the trussrod, being metal itself, is prone to react to these variations. If your happy with the current setup, just slightly adjust the trussrod until the buzzing goes away (it won't take much adjustment to get it back on track). I have to do this occasionally on almost any guitar I've ever owned, and it's just a matter of maintenance and upkeep.
    Man, I can't imagine how you get at that trussrod, though I know it's possible. Honestly, I doubt it's a truss rod issue, though I can't rule out anything, I suppose. Perhaps frets. The sound is a ringing after tone, that is non musical. Metallic like an anvil.
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    dlincoln, it sounds exactly like a truss rod issue. More than likely it just needs a small adjustment. You should be able to adjust it by using an allen wrench to turn the truss rod. As with most of these style of guitars it can be accessed inside the soundhole on the neck block, roughly in line with sqaure black piece of wood in the rosette. I say give it a go, but if your not comfortable I'm sure someone at a guitar shop could probably do the adjustment in a matter of minutes.
    Shawn, I think I'll give it a go. Now, the question is, do I have a truss rod wrench long enough to make that expanse. The first one I found isn't long enough to clear through the brace hole and meet the rod. Hmmm, perhaps if my hand where the size of a baby's, I could better maneuver in there.

Does anybody know what size wrench a Dupont uses?
    Well, I just received my Dupont approved truss rod wrench from Michael (great customer care, btw.), and I must say, it seems that my issue was from a slightly overtightened neck. Just a slight bump looser, and the trouble seemed to relieve. Thanks to everyone and Michael !!!