DjangoBooks.com

Django in June 2012

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
So far as I know there will be four members of our GGG at this year's Django Camp: myself, Anthony, Archtop Eddy and Passacaglia.

Anybody else going--- either members or regular lurkers--- ? If so, please make yourself known.

I know it's a busy week, but I'm hoping we can get together a few times and try to have some fun with our Givone work... or, if not, to bitch about how it's too hard and we can't do it. :oops: or maybe even just forget all about the guitar for a few hours, and maybe hire a few hookers or something... :D

Seriously, as I've probably stated elsewhere in another topic, I'm getting to be an old geezer and have trouble remembering a lot of the stuff that I learn. I'm hoping that if I learn a lick or idea directly from, let's say, Archtop Eddy, I'm going to remember to play and use it and I'll always think of good old Archtop Eddy who taught it to me.

As I've said, I don't want anybody to work up anything special, but just be yourself and share one or two of the licks that YOU actually use when YOU play... forget all about Givone!... they may be so over-familiar that YOU may not even think about using them anymore, but to ME--- they'll be brand new!

Will

PS I guess I should say... I'm not a guy who actually has a lot of friends--- maybe like a lot of you, a guy who normally prefers to spend a lot of time by himself playing the guitar instead of going out and doing social type stuff--- so for me Django Camp is the big social event of the season.

So besides compulsively worrying about guitar technique and all that stuff, which I tend to do 51 weeks of the year anyway--- I'm looking forward to just having some fun and hanging out.
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• I'll be going, Will. I'm planning on leaving myself open to what's happening up there and seeing how it goes. It will be nice to play with a lot of different folks, for sure.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    My first time, and I have no idea what to expect, so like Jkaz, going in with a pretty open book, Will. But I'm looking forward to meeting and playing with everyone from the group (and the site, generally) who's heading out. Mostly, I'm hoping for good health and stamina. Pure, unadulterated endurance. Send it to me, gods! :wink:
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Wow... according to my calculations, that makes five of us altogether--- me, Archtop Eddy, Anthony, Passacaglia aka Paul, and JKaz aka Jim... we'll have a regular Givone mafia!

I'm hoping to get a good look at Givone's follow-up book, the one with the 25 tunes using his ideas.

Possibly I'll be able to buy it there from Michael H if he's selling copies. I'm not in a big rush to do this because the truth is that I'm not really ready yet, but it is something I'm already anticipating with pleasure.

I should say, to those who haven't yet attended, one of the cool things about DiJ is to actually get your hands on a lot of different djangobooks.com-type murch and kick the tires a bit before buying... so don't forget to bring some pocket money...

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Good to know, I had wondered about this, thanks, Will. Though I feel sorry for Michael (both of them!) carrying a ton of stuff back east - appreciate the ability to get a hold of things back there.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • The 25 pieces is very good. I've yet to sit down to do a dedicated study, as I am in the midst of getting all the forms under my fingers, but I've played around. The studies are very good and very traditional.
    Hello...I only understand some of what you all are talking about ( GGG = Gypsy Guitar Group?) but I am registered for DiJ, too. I am 'paid and planning' but being registered and actually making it are not the same thing. But I hope to make it there for the week and meet my fellow lovers of GJ. I am pretty much a beginer and only discovered the genre about 6 months ago but I have an advanced case of Gypsy Fever and my prognosis is grave. I have never done a camp of any kind before but it's something I am really looking forward to. I do hope that willingness and passion are as valued as knowledge and ability, because I bring only the former. This whole camp thing is a bit intimidating but it's been my experience that music-loving-guitarist tend to be really nice folks.

I look forward to meeting my brothers (and sisters?) in arms.

Best,

Chet
  • seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
    Hey Chet,

Welcome to the cult! DiJ will be a blast. I highly recommend Jeff Radaich's workshops. They will be geared towards beginners and he is a great teacher.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Hi Chet -

No need to be intimidated. It does seem a bit daunting the first time, but you'll find it to be a very welcoming environment open to all levels. You'll probably learn more in a week than you can in a year on your own. You're fortunate to get in on this early in your GJ development, because you''ll learn good techniques early on rather than develop a lot of bad habits that have to be corrected.

Hope you make it. Welcome to the GJ community!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Chet, let me add my warm welcome to those of the previous posters.

You'll find the camaraderie at DiJ quite enjoyable, and the whole experience inspirational, although you're going to see some guitar players there who may be inspirational more in the sense of inspiring you to "burn your guitar and piss on the ashes".

If you are new to GJ, success is guaranteed by just follow these simple steps---

1) Upon arrival at DiJ, find a tall gentleman by the name of Michael Horowitz, author of "Gypsy Picking" and owner/operator of this website

2) Follow this man around all week. Take every workshop he offers.

3) Buy a copy of "Gypsy Picking" before leaving DiJ. Plan to spend the next several months making your right hand get with the program.

4) After that, you're going to want to make your left hand get with the program, so become a member of that ultra-elite fraternity known as the GGG! :D

Will

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Unfortunately, Michael typically arrives later in the week, usually Thursday as I recall, and mostly teaches on the weekend. There will be plenty of opportunity for excellent instruction prior to that, though. Both the rhythm and improv classes for guitarists are divided into multiple levels, from beginner to advanced, with the beginner levels being devoted to getting the basics right. There is often a workshop in gypsy picking during the week.

When Michael arrives, you can't miss him. He'll be the guy with the tables set up during breaks, selling gazillions of CDs, strings, books, and picks. A great time to stock up (but if you want Argentine loop end 11s, get there before Gonzalo!).
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles