DjangoBooks.com

help me identify this django tune/ending

wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
edited June 2012 in Repertoire Posts: 1,457
there is a django ending which is a burst of notes something like

A D B G C# A F# B G E C# D

they might not be exactly right notes or maybe it's a different key, i'm not sure.. it's just in my head

les doigts de l'homme also quote this thing in the ending of ol' man river (but theirs seems to be a kind of bastardised whole-tone version of the lick)

i'm trying to find which django tune(s) it's from, at first i thought it was belleville but it doesn't seem to be on any of the versions of belleville from integrale so i must be remembering wrongly

Comments

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Django's version of "Ol' Man River" has this lick at the end (albeit much slower).
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    oh thanks , for some reason i didn't bother to check the django version of that :P
    so it's in C , and it swings in a strange way , i thought they would put it on the 'other' beat if you know what i mean! is this lick in any other django tunes?
    kikteff mentioned bireli played it in belleville

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc5__kZbfoo#t=5m
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I think Bireli also used the octave part (in C) after the theme but before the solos on Viper's Dream in the Live DVD.
    yeah , the octave thing is old hat .. i was more interested in that 12 note ringtone-sounding ditty .. i also just noticed there's a spruced up version of it at the end of les doigts version of appel indirect
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Oh ok, so you are just interested in the single note part of it that Bireli does at the very end?
    not interested in bireli's part , i've got the line (and a harmony) down now, i was just curious where the original django source was :P