DjangoBooks.com

is this normal?

aa New York City✭✭✭✭
edited March 2006 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 800
ever since i started using the button, my thumb has been taking a beating. I met bireli once and noticed that the side of his right thumb was huge. do most gypsy-jazzers get giant callouses on the side of their picking thumbs?
Www.alexsimonmusic.com
Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    That looks totaly normal to me...I get the same rubbing un my index finger and thumb.

'm
  • ghodaddyyoghodaddyyo The slums of OCNew
    Your thumb... Look at your index finger!!!! :shock:
    "Aw, that's just pillow talk baby!"
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's so normal we've had to give it a name around here: "Gypsy Finger". Perhaps less normal is how much time all of spend taking pictures of our picking hands! I think it might be more noticeable with the Button picks; they tend to bring your hand in closer to the strings because they're a bit smaller than most of the other picks.

Best,
    Jack.
  • tommasotommaso ROMA-ITALYNew
    I have started to study Gypsy Picking a month ago and what has happened to me has been a hurt on the index of the pick hand(right) because when I play it is in a light contact with strings(this situation gives to me a comfortable feeling of control: is it the same for you?) .
    After a week the hurt has been substituted by a callus.
    Grazie Django!