DjangoBooks.com

magnetic pickup tone

Hi, I am new to the forum, less so to jazz and gypsy jazz.
I have a question for anyone that uses a magnetic pickup extensively
How realistic is it to expect a pickup like a Pech a la mouche, to sound like a more typical electric.

To explain myself. I currently play with a gypsy jazz quartet out of Akron which plays out frequently. I also get freelance "straight ahead" gigs that I need an electric tone for. I am currently considering my very nice gibson (that doesn't get used enough) so I can buy a handmade selmer copy. If I do this would it be possible to use the selmer with a magnetic pickup in the gibson's stead? Does anyone else do this?
Thanks

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Hi xsterrerx, I left a private message for you... check your user control panel.

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    There are some videos on the Peche Web site that might help you make that decision:
    http://www.pechealamouche.ch/pechealamouche/index.php/en/videolartilleux

The sound is somewhat like the old De Armond single coil pickups, but smoother.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • xterrettxxterrettx New
    those sound samples are helpful but most of these guys are using a tiny 5 watt amp, that breaks up way to much and has a small speaker. I wanna hear it in a more normal tube amp.
  • xterrettxxterrettx New
    Well i found this and of course Stochelo makes it sound great
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JexnZqe8bHY&feature=player_embedded#!