DjangoBooks.com

Frets on Asian guitars

Well my Altamira MO1D arrived last night (pics are coming I know I know...). Maybe I'm spoiled by the stellar fretwork on my electrics (Tom Anderson, Don Grosh, Michael Tuttle) and my Taylor acoustic, but the frets on the M01D feel like barbed wire. They're level, but very rough and not at all polished. Is this common on Altamira and/or the Asian Gypsy guitars in general? I paid extra for the "set up special" and expected to have smooth frets. These are anything but smooth.
Thanks
Bob

Comments

• BobBob New
    My Gitane DG 255 needed a fret polish and it took some time to get the neck relief correct. Plays very well now (I wish I did!).
    Bob
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    I just ordered "Fret Erasers" from Stewart McDonald. If you havent seen them, they're a fret polishing system that have graduated grits to polish your frets. I'll letcha know how they are when they get here. I've got about 5-6 guitars that would benefit.
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • David F.David F. Vancouver, WA✭✭✭
    "Fret Erasers" look to be the same product as is available through industrial suppliers for about half the price; grit-and-rubber bars like that are used in many kinds of metalworking. I use them in some mechanical work--$4 from a local industrial supplier vs. $12 for one from a specialty supplier in my own field!
  • Get one sheet of 400 one of 800 and one of 1200 wet or dri sandpapers

cut off a small enough piece of the 400 so that you can hold it over the end of one finger snug but not tight. Folded to a double thickness if you have used sandpaper before and have an idea of how it all works.

Fingetip pointing down with just enough pressure that the fret indents the fingertip but sandpaper doesnt touch the fretboard...gently slide fingertip across frets evenly until you get a nice even dull look ...just a few strokes should do.

Change the spot on the paper and repeat for all frets, same number of strokes and pressure for each fret.

Repeat with 800 and then 1200 paper. The finer papers will take more strokes.

Total cost maybe 3 bucks and you will have lots left for another guitar.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I guess where I'm from when I pay for a set up that includes the frets I expect them to be leveled/crowned/polished. These appear to have been leveled, but not crowned or polished. I've played more than a few cheap Asian electrics that had very nice fretwork, that's why I'm surprised. The guitar does sound great, and the neck shape is nice (I was afraid it might be to U shaped), though it will some time getting used to the Gypsy set up. I've been spoiled by my electrics which are all in the 3-4/64" range (do the math). In my best most interesting man in the world voice "I don't always play Gypsy guitar, but when I do I prefer high action." :mrgreen:
  • High action works if you are playing down toward the nut.

If one is really banging on the strings well action just high enough to not buzz

High action just bu****sup note duration and intonation in the higher fret areas.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    David F. wrote:
    "Fret Erasers" look to be the same product as is available through industrial suppliers for about half the price; grit-and-rubber bars like that are used in many kinds of metalworking. I use them in some mechanical work--$4 from a local industrial supplier vs. $12 for one from a specialty supplier in my own field!
    Awww,crap.
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
    David F. wrote:
    Awww,crap.
    Don't feel bad. StewMac sells a bunch of stuff for too much money.
    Their finger board dye is just leather dye that can be purchased from tack/saddle shops for much less.
    Their shielding paint can be found at electronics stores for considerably less.
    My favorite it their tune-o-matic bridge jack. They want $35.49 for that nifty little tool. The funny thing is Dan Erlewine did an article in Guitar Player where he used a bicycle tire lever to do the same thing. You can get three of those for under $5.00.
    Well I took the guitar around to several local area techs yesterday and everyone agreed that the frets need to be re-crowned and polished. They were just ground flat with the no re-crowing or polishing done. This isn't simply polishing with fret erasers or sand paper or steel wool as many of the frets were ground flat on top.