DjangoBooks.com

which one PARIS SWING GG42 or GITANE DG-350 Jan Akkerman?

well, i'm considering purchasing one of these...both mid priced asian 14 fret Dhole gtrs.

the Gitane DG-350 Jan Akkerman is around $3-400 more but i'm not sure there is a compelling reason (other than the fact i've always dug J.A.) to go the extra money for the Gitane DG-350 over the PARIS SWING GG42. the PS does seems to be very well made and has Grover tuners and what appears to be better tailpiece.

oh....sadly i won't be able to try either and so would be buying blind (deaf) via mail order.

big thanks in advance to anyone who has exp w either or both of these or anyone who has any input they care to share on the subject.

Comments

• slowlearnerslowlearner ✭✭
    I can't help you on those two guitars but have you poked around Ebay?
    Use Gypsy Jazz Guitar for your search. There is a a Gitane DG 300 John Jorgeson current bid $500.00.
    A 1950's Antoine DiMauro Modele Django current bid $204.50
    And something called a Cordoba Gitano 0-5 current bid at $26.00!!!
    Last week there was a Paris Swing oval hole for $499.00.
    Worth taking a look, good luck.
    randy
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I, and most of my customers, have found the Paris Swing guitars to be superior to the Gitanes in sound and construction. The Paris Swings have a drier, clear "French" sound which the Gitanes usually lack and also the fit and finish on the Paris Swing guitars is the best I've seen on an Asian guitar. The hardware on the Paris Swing guitars is also very nice: grover tuners and a DR tailpiece. All this for less than similar Gitanes. Ultimately it's personal, but I think it's tough to beat the Paris Swings in the sub-$800 range.
  • kw3rdkw3rd New
    The Paris Swing on ebay is no longer available because I'm the one who bought it! When it arrives I'll post a review.

I decided on the Paris Swing because I was a little nervous about the Gitane's reputation for skinny necks. Also, the seller posted a video that gave me a better idea of the tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=7C ... large#t=12

It seems to have a nice dry tone but a little more even sounding. It's not as harsh as my Cigano, which I felt always sounded horrible when playing rhythm.

I do however, think the Gitanes sound pretty good too. You can see lots of professionals gigging with them on youtube, and pro's like Paulus Schafer and Jimmy Rosenburg manage to make some pretty wonderful music with them. So a Gitane is probably a pretty safe bet (if you like skinny necks)

I'm happy to see that Mr. Horowitz's opinion on the Paris Swing's fit and finish. It's reassuring when your buying something sight unseen over the internet. Thanks Michael.

My Paris Swing is due to arrive late next week. If you want, I'll be happy to post a review when it arrives.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Congrats, KW. It would be nice to hear, once you get it and have the chance. I have so little experience playing other guitars (last real sustained period, before this year, was 35-ish years ago), that I can't speak too much to the DG-300's comparative physical attributes, but I can say I feel pretty fortunate. Most people who've played it, and that includes a lot of pros, have praised it quite a bit.

My luthier neighbor/friend made an interesting comment, re: factory made guitars, like these. Hadn't thought of it, but whereas he and his ilk hand-select wood pieces for soundboards, etc., and craft the soundboard thickness, etc., to suit, with factory guitars, given the plate thicknesses, etc. are set in stone, one can end up with a relatively better or lesser guitar, just by sheer luck, based on the actual wood piece(s) used in the manufacture. I hadn't thought of it, and would love to play 10 different DG-300s, just to see.

Anyway, I digress. Congrats again on your purchase, and will look forward to hearing it, KW.

-Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • planetguyplanetguy New
    thanks to all who weighed in. i think i was already leaning towards the Paris so w this additional input....i'll be going that way. thanks again. 8)
  • tonflorestonflores New
    Hi there!

This message is mainly for Michael, but I write here instead of sending a PM in order to share my doubts and information which could be useful for other people in the future.

I’m looking for a mid range Gypsy Jazz Guitar. I wish to buy a great one but I have neither a clear idea nor enough money, and also is my first Gypsy Guitar. So after looking quite a lot I’m almost decided to buy a Paris Swing GG-42. The main reasons to take this decisions are:

My budget is around 1000$
    I’m gonna use it mainly for rhythm guitar
    I prefer a warmer and mellow tone rather than a very brilliant guitar
    It seems to me more beautiful the D-hole than the o-hole

I saw the comments made by you Michael about this guitar and you say it’s tough to beat.

But I have some doubts about the type of guitar I want to buy because of my lack of knowledge.

First of all, I don’t really know the specific characteristics of a Favino Style or Favino Size guitar… I only know Favino is a Gypsy Guitar Luthier, or am I confused?

In second place, I have some doubts about set up options you have in your store:
    What’s the difference between professional gypsy set up and Package deal (custom bridge, set up and leather under tailpeace). I mean, other than price :D !
    What does full fret level means.
    This three options are complementary options, what’s your recommendation about set up?

Because I’m thinking about buying:
    Paris Swing GG-42: 629 $
    Guardian Deluxe Favino Case: 99 $
    Set Up, that could vary between 75 - ?? $
    Shipping costs: I think it’s around 100 $ (I live in Spain)

Total 829 $ plus the set up…

I’m also wanted to have a way to amplify the guitar. With my requirements and taking into consideration the very different ways to do it, and also the budget, I’m thinking about buying an AT PRO 70 mic. Do you think it’s also a good option for me?

I would really appreciate all your comments and recommendations. And also opinions of guitarists who have these guitar and also this mic!!

Cheers,
    Tony
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    tonflores wrote:
    Hi there!

First of all, I don’t really know the specific characteristics of a Favino Style or Favino Size guitar… I only know Favino is a Gypsy Guitar Luthier, or am I confused?

Jacques Favino built many different models and variations. However, he is most famous for his Modele #10, which is a large bodied Selmer inspired guitar. Here is one of his D hole style guitars which was built by his son:

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Item/jp-favino-1982

Typical Favinos have a 16 1/2" body, a four brace top, and often a longer 675 scale. Favinos are larger than the 15 3/4" size Selmers. Because of the larger body and four brace top, Favinos tend to have more midrange and bass but not as much treble as a Selmer has.
    In second place, I have some doubts about set up options you have in your store:
    What’s the difference between professional gypsy set up and Package deal (custom bridge, set up and leather under tailpeace). I mean, other than price :D !
    What does full fret level means.
    This three options are complementary options, what’s your recommendation about set up?

The Package deal includes a setup, custom bridge and tailpiece leather. The setup is just that, only a setup. The Paris Swing guitars are better out of the box but than the Gitanes, but they still have numerous issues including high frets, a bridge which is too heavy and overbuilt, and action and neck relief which is not set optimally. Having our tech Josh correct all these problems will insure that the guitar plays and sounds its best right out of the box.

If you order a fret level, Josh will carefully file all the frets so they are at the optimal height, removing any high frets which will cause buzzing.

Shipping costs: I think it’s around 100 $ (I live in Spain)

Shipping is $150 to Spain.
    I’m also wanted to have a way to amplify the guitar. With my requirements and taking into consideration the very different ways to do it, and also the budget, I’m thinking about buying an AT PRO 70 mic. Do you think it’s also a good option for me?

The PRO70 is a popular option but keep in mind it is a mic so it will feedback easily if you are sitting very close to the speaker and/or turn it up loud. If you are just playing rhythm it will probably be OK, but players who need a lot of volume prefer the Bigtone, Stimer, or Ischell as those pickups can get a lot louder before feedback.

Thanks!

Michael
  • AmmonBAmmonB ✭✭
    Hey tonflores!

I was pretty much in the same boat as you when I purchased my Paris Swing GG-42. I had a small budget and had little experience in this music and the guitars.

I went about purchasing mine with the Favino-size case, the package deal and a pickup. The package deal was absolutely worth it. The guitar played fantastically as soon as I got it and I have had no problems since. (Those tech guys at djangobooks.com (Josh) really know what they're doing!)

As far as amplification, I went the pickup route rather than the mic because I perform live constantly and don't like feedback issues. I chose to buy the krivo nuevo pickup: http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Ite ... ingle-coil

It is handmade and extremely thin which is great. It sounds awesome and I have experienced little feedback issues. I definitely recommend it if you are thinking of going the pickup route. It uses putty to stick to the guitar so it does work for D-hole models.

Best wishes,

AmmonB
  • tonflorestonflores New
    Hi again!

Thank you very much for all your comments, all were very interesting for me.

BTW, every time I read more about guitars and amplifying possibilities I have more doubts!! I know we all feel the same in my situation, that’s a horrible mess!
    :?
    Once I shout out all my pains, let me say to you my new issues:

Guitar

Now I’m thinking about spending a little bit more (or not, it depends) and going to an Altamira. What about them. Is there many difference between the Paris Swing and the M30D, for example? Does the M30D need also a deep set up (including changing the bridge and the fret level adjust, like Michael suggest in the previous post) or it’s possible to buy it without set up (and then to save 200$...).

Amplification

Here I have terrible doubts and I change my opinion every 5 minutes…

Of course I see the best way to avoid feedback and noise is a pickup. In fact, at the beginning I was comparing the Schattens and the K&K Pure Mcaferri (because they are the ones that Djangobooks install). Now I saw the Schatten can’t be installed in a Favino Size, That’s right? The K&K seems to be good, but I think it’s a great difference between the price of the pickup (75$) and the price at djangobooks for the K&K installed (280$!!). By the other hand AmmonB, you recommend me the Krivo, which also seems to be great. Why you finally decided for a magnetic pickup instead to a Piezo? I thought with the piezo you achieve a more natural acoustic sound than with the magnetic pickup.

And that’s the reason I would like to take the Audio Technica Pro70 or AT831b, because I want a pure acoustic sound. But also I don’t want to be playing everytime thinking about the feedback and hearing it while I’m playing. So by your experience if I’m going to play rhythmic guitar, I’m not going to have feedback/noise problems? And If I play solos I’m going to have for sure these problems, or I only going to have problems if I want to play very loud?

Thanks a lot for all your opinions!!

Cheers,
    Tony
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    Hi,

I use an Audio Technica 831b for amplification with both house PA systems and sometimes with my little Henriksen Jazz Amp, and have never had any feedback problems, unless I've been stupid and moved the microphone directly in front of the speaker. Maybe if you're a quiet player you might have to turn it up louder, and then you might have a problem, but I do quite a few gigs in lots of different rooms, and in front of lots of different crowds, and think that the AT works and sounds great, without any real feedback problems at all. Sound engineers have told me several times that they get a very clear, easy to use signal from it.

Jon