DjangoBooks.com

The Black Market Trust CD Review

arjrarjr ✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 75
Got my copy this month.............. :D

With 2/3 of the members forming The Black Market Trust it's hard not to
hear Gonzalo's influence on this album.

With that said I still find this album to be unique and colorful!

Jeff Radaich show's he can hold his own as a lead player and with Chris and Brian holding
down the rhythm section it makes for a tight well arranged album.

Jeff show's off his skill as a composer on tunes like Referential Integrity, Super Standard and Waiting on Rob.

With special guests Leah Zeger, Rob Hardt and Gonzalo it makes for a colorful album with
songs ranging from swing to classical.

So if you like well arranged tunes with some bluesy swing
pick up the album!!!

Angelo

Comments

• MaxwellGarcesMaxwellGarces Laguna Niguel, CA.✭✭✭
    I agree with Angelo's thoughts.
    Jeff has put together a great album of original material with the rest of the guys.

Brian and Chris provide the solid as ever rhythm section and hold it down incredibly well.

All the songs contain Great melodies and musicality that are influenced by Rock and Pop sensibilities which makes for fun listening.

Super Standard is a KCRW ready anthem that you can easily find yourself humming all day long.

The album's progressions and ideas seem to come from a place that is much more concerned about the song and the choice of notes rather than a display of instrumental pyrotechnics (a feat that Jeff is more than capable of for anyone who has played with him).

Preferring to let the songs do all the talking works very well to keep the feel and energy of the album consistent. the solos are well placed and well stated but not overbearing and the guest artist solos are top notch as expected.

A highlight track has to be "Penny". An emotional and beautiful tune with a soaring string arrangement well crafted and full of space and atmosphere.

Then there's The J.B. Stomp, full of rock and country licks as well as some awesome arpeggio playing over a swinging rhythm. a very fun tune to listen to again and again.

Referential Integrity, in addition to having a clever name, is another awesome tune that goes through several different moods and paces and delivers with great playing, great arrangements, and a cool atmosphere.

The contributions from Leah, Rob, and Gonzalo all add to the flavor of the record.

All the tracks are good! get the album and see for yourself, you will not be disappointed, I know I wasn't!!

-Maxwell
  • Maxwell pretty much said what I was going to say. This record breathes as opposed to filling every spare moment up with notes. There is clearly a focus on the songs, although its pretty clear that Jeff has the ability to tear it up and it is tastefully done. The guests from GBQ really add the eyebrows to this recording. It's a set of primary originals, although the one cover (Good Morning) is one that you might not normally hear in a jam. Maybe you will now.

This is a record well worth picking up.