DjangoBooks.com

New DVD: Bireli Lagrene

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Bireli rules! anybody going to argue with that? I cant wait to see this one. The last DVD was killer... as you all know. Wasnt it the same time last year that the other DVD came out?
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    Bireli's playing on this DVD is absolutly awsome, better than the Vienne one.

'Hungaria' is the most frightning guitar playing I have ever seen.
  • SoulShadeSoulShade NW Ohio, USANew
    Savin' my pennies for this one! -s
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Worth every cent! At least as necessary as Live in Vienne...

Best,
    Jack.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    This ships today!

'm
  • Tom ConwayTom Conway Maui, HawaiiNew
    The Bireli DVD 'Live in Paris' is incredibly inspiring! Bireli just kills on his gypsy guitar and the Gibson Wes style electric. Tone, taste, chops, ideas, modern chords and harmonics - it's hard to imagine better jazz guitar playing than this! The bonus documentary is really nice as well. This DVD belongs in every serious player's library. :shock: :D

TC
    My review:

Bireli is truly a monster, and can rightfully be called Django heir. I say this mainly because it seems like he's playing what Django might be playing had he lived longer... His blending of modern elements and his roots in gypsy jazz has truly created progressive element to this music which even modern jazz players can enjoy.

Highlights include: Donna Lee, Hungaria, Freedom Jazz Dance (he plays a fretless fender!), Move, and well the whole concert in my opinion. He burns through everything, but in a very musical way where melodicism isn't lost. Some very nice moments on the ballads too.

Hono Winterstein takes two choruses of rhythm guitar solo on Move, which I found very neat. I'm astonished at how a rhythm guitar can sound interesting for two full choruses. New found respect for Hono.

Though it doesn't have the long list of players a la "Vienne", watching just Bireli is totally worth it. He's simply above any other guitarist, in my opinion.