DjangoBooks.com

Loop ends vs. ball ends

ok, is there an advantage to using one over the other on a tlpc that will accomodate either?

Comments

• Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    I've preferred loop ends ever since John LeVoi (I believe) suggested twisting the string a couple of times, at the loop end, to fix the occasionally flat A string in the Argentine sets. You can't do that with ball ends....
  • I have used both. Don't hear any difference, neither is hard to use.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • I have used both. Don't hear any difference, neither is hard to use.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    i´m sure whatever Django used is da best. just look at his mustache.

(i myself prefer loop ends, find it more elegant. they´re also less likely to dent your top if by any chance they end up hitting the soundboard - DAMHIK - and, most importantly, they go better with the gaucho dude on the pack.)
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I like the loop ends 'coz:
    1) They look cool.
    2) When changing strings, they slip right on and off the little peg, you don't have to pull them all the way through. When removing ball end strings, you have to completely unwind them from the tuner first.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Loop ends are handy in case you want to put a shim under the bridge: you can loose the strings, put a capo on to hold them in place, slip the loops off, insert the shim, slip the loops on and there you go. Much more difficult if you use ball ends.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Yes, or do most anything involving the bridge, like sanding it to fit the top or running a pickup wire underneath (as with the Ischell).
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles