DjangoBooks.com

Need some advice, please

jazznoobjazznoob Buenos AiresNew
edited January 2013 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 20
First, i ll try to be as clear as possible and hopefully my english will be enough so you can understand what the hell im talking about lol

I think i understand the basics of Gypsy Picking, the rest stroke, the floating wrist, the angle of the pick.

BUT talking to a friend the other day (he's been playing the style for a couple of years) he told me that with gypsy picking you "push" the string against the top of the guitar when you pick.

You get some nice volume and its not difficult on the treble strings, but on the bass strings its almost impossible to avoid hitting the other fingers of your right hand with the strings.

I've been watching some Stochelo's lesson and it seems that indeed he do something similar, but the fingers on his right hand are curled almost under the strings. On the other hand, Gonzalo's technique is a little different, his right hand is "closed".

Anyway, thanks.

Comments

• Not sure what you mean by push the string to the top

The down stroke does angle toward the top some and if one is sweep picking the next string(s) then one sort of pushes through that string at the right time.

Its a very loose wristed dropping motion angling in toward the top for the fdown stroke.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • jazznoobjazznoob Buenos AiresNew
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    Not sure what you mean by push the string to the top

The down stroke does angle toward the top some and if one is sweep picking the next string(s) then one sort of pushes through that string at the right time.

Its a very loose wristed dropping motion angling in toward the top for the fdown stroke.

Thats exactly what i was talking about!

How much do you angle toward the top? Is it ok if the fingers of your right hand hit the strings?
  • I hold my fingers like Django did with my middle and ring finger lightly brushing the top

If the backs of your fingers are hitting the strings but not making any noises then other than wear and tear on the backs of your fingers ...well they will callous up in time and it wil otherwise dampen strings that youare not playing. You might find a faster tempos that you strt to get noise from them.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Awesome, thanks.

About the pick...

Im trying the gator on the round side method. But i find it kinda difficult, i have to hit the strings pretty hard if i want the pick to rest on the other string. Cant you just use it on the pointy side?
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Yes certainly use the pointy side, and get a Wegen pick.

The other thing I would say is yes there is a lot to learn from the Horowitz and Chang material, however I would regard both of them as them as the lowest tier of the manouche style, take what you can from their instructional material, play whichever way feels comfortable, and possibly learn from the european style like Givone and Debarre
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I think Gonzalo is mostly living in Argentina when he isn't touring. Maybe if he is close enough you can take some lessons.
    Bones wrote:
    I think Gonzalo is mostly living in Argentina when he isn't touring. Maybe if he is close enough you can take some lessons.

Yeah, i tried... but lets not talk about that lol
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    @jazznoob Go on.... did he want pics of you naked?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Really? I took a few lessons from him when he was living in LA. Would have done more if I wasn't so far away from LA. Learned a lot.
    redblues wrote:
    @jazznoob Go on.... did he want pics of you naked?

No lol, but i did offer to send some of those