DjangoBooks.com

WTB: Gypsy Jazz Guitar

SprucelySprucely New
edited December 2012 in Classifieds Posts: 4
I currently play, amongst other styles, some swing and classical music and am looking to find a used GJ guitar. I am thinking I would like the larger, D hole variety. Although I would pay up to $750 for the right guitar, I would rather stay below $500. Let me know what you have (or if you have other suggestions on tracking down a guitar).

Comments

• SprucelySprucely New
    Does anyone have any suggestions on other places to look for used GJ guitars?
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Sprucely wrote:
    Does anyone have any suggestions on other places to look for used GJ guitars?

With a budget of under $500, I'd recommend you take a look at the Cigano line of guitars. I don't think you'll find a better value per dollar, at this budget, just my opinion. I don't think much difference between can be found between a new and a used guitar, again at this budget. I could be wrong, many here have a wonderful amount of knowledge and experience in guitar acquisitions. If you can go up to $750-$1000, your options open up a bit.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I agree with Paul, the Cigano GJ-10 or GJ-15 is probably your best best. They can be pretty inconsistent, but with some setup work, they aren't bad starter guitars. My buddy John Salmon in Philly had a d-hole Cigano that was really good. The only oval hole I played belonged to another friend, and I thought it was terrible, but I think that might have been a fluke.

You could spend a little more on a lower end Gitane, but I don't think they are better. Once in a while, a Gitane DG-300, the John Jorgenson model, will pop up for about $750. If you can get one at that price, it might be worth the extra bucks.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Sprucely, if you didn't know, ^ would be one of those guys I was thinking of, when talking about knowledge and experience. Michael has an ocean-liner's amount of both.

I will likely be selling my DG-300 sometime in the late spring, but I know you're looking now. I've been very happy with my Jorgenson, but I've heard from many others that these can be inconsistent. I think I might have gotten lucky, as many people I respect who've played the guitar have been impressed (again, on a dollar/value basis).

Listen to anything Michael B. has to say - he really knows his stuff! Good luck!

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • SprucelySprucely New
    Thanks Paul and Michael. I guess I was hoping to find a used D-500, thinking they were better than the Ciganes.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I actually like the D-hole Cigane better than the D-500. The D-500 is an older design, and in my opinion, has been surpassed. A Cigano iss not a shiny, and it might need a bit more set-up work, but I think it will probably sound better than a D-500. But if you like the D-500, go for it. They are certainly not bad. I had one, and liked it until something better came my way.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    ..........I wouldn't rule out a D-500. If you get a good one, or make a new bridge to replace the bad ones they have come with in the past, you'll have a good playable guitar. Even though I have two better guitars, I still use mine alot. But it would be nice if you could play it first. Many newer ones are pretty "wet loose" sounding. I've heard and played 3 of 7 (mine incl.) over the last 7 years that had the fundamental tone that supported both rhythm and lead. I had Josh Hegg make me a new bridge on my mid 90's that got the intonation spot on even with a little sink in the top and a two fret twist at the headstock. I love it now! I played one SN between 200-300 at DFNW late Sept. that had the strong bass thump but had "wet highs" and was really lacking in mid-range power to connect the bass and highs. His guitar would really respond to a luthier built bridge, which I recommended!
    .........I haven't played a Cigano, so can't offer any opinions.
    .........'R