DjangoBooks.com

Hot swingin' chord solo

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
In another thread, I lamented the fact that Canadian Netflix doesn't carry the 2010 "Life After Django" film celebrating Django's 100th birthday.

So I've been watching some clips from the film on the internet and was intrigued by this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGWqdXscDx8

Does anybody know the identity of the merry-faced rascal who plays the hot solo in octaves and chords? He's not all that technically advanced, but he swings like the proverbial ten thousand MF's. His rhythm playing also keeps a simple bass line going in the absence of a bass instrument.

This seems to be related to stuff Django did on recordings; I guess it might be considered passe by today's standards--- too banjoistic--- but if this is the kind of thing you like, then I think you'll really like it.

So check it out and if you are interested in joining a communal attempt to figure out some of the techniques this guy uses then come back here and share whatever you were able to glean.

I learned a couple of things already: a nice dissonant D+

F# A# D F#
2 x x 3 3 2

and then it seemed that he used an almost identical fingering to play a GmMaj7

G Bb D Gb
3 x x 3 3 2

And he slid up the neck and played this inversion of Cm

X G C Eb G Eb
x 10 10 8 8 11

There's a few more tricks I haven't yet figured out, so hopefully some of you cats will have fun checking it out and sharing whatever treasures you find.

Will a/k/a Lango-Django
-still livin' the dream in Paris!

PS Oh yeah, at the end of the clip, the young fella who comes over to congratulate the two older guys is Django's grandson, David.
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Tchavolo would be his name
    *sigh* :wink:
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    In another thread, I lamented the fact that Canadian Netflix doesn't carry the 2010 "Life After Django" film celebrating Django's 100th birthday.

So I've been watching some clips from the film on the internet and was intrigued by this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGWqdXscDx8

Does anybody know the identity of the merry-faced rascal who plays the hot solo in octaves and chords? He's not all that technically advanced, but he swings like the proverbial ten thousand MF's. His rhythm playing also keeps a simple bass line going in the absence of a bass instrument.

This seems to be related to stuff Django did on recordings; I guess it might be considered passe by today's standards--- too banjoistic--- but if this is the kind of thing you like, then I think you'll really like it.

So check it out and if you are interested in joining a communal attempt to figure out some of the techniques this guy uses then come back here and share whatever you were able to glean.

I learned a couple of things already: a nice dissonant D+

F# A# D F#
    2 x x 3 3 2

and then it seemed that he used an almost identical fingering to play a GmMaj7

G Bb D Gb
    3 x x 3 3 2

And he slid up the neck and played this inversion of Cm

X G C Eb G Eb
    x 10 10 8 8 11

There's a few more tricks I haven't yet figured out, so hopefully some of you cats will have fun checking it out and sharing whatever treasures you find.

Will a/k/a Lango-Django
    -still livin' the dream in Paris!

PS Oh yeah, at the end of the clip, the young fella who comes over to congratulate the two older guys is Django's grandson, David.

Will, I think you're talking about Tchavolo Schmidt? I love him - he always plays with a huge smile, or an attempt to contain one. Pure joy. Never a frivolous note.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Tchavolo Schmidt- thanks guys!

He da bomb!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."