DjangoBooks.com

Djangofest LA

dwannabedwannabe Coupeville, WashingtonNew
edited March 2006 in North America Posts: 21
Any information on the upcoming Djangofest Los Angeles, held in Laguna? I see dates but nothing else listed on the site.

John

Comments

• dwannabedwannabe Coupeville, WashingtonNew
    Guess not.
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why is Djangofest LA held in Laguna? It's a lovely community, but it's very, very far away from LA, in Orange County (and southern Orange County at that). I'm sure it has lots to do with finding the right sized (and priced) venue, as well as sponsors, parking, and all that, but I can't believe that there's nothing comprable closer the the actual city of Los Angeles. What about Barnsdall Park, right at Vermont and Hollywood? They have a lovely theater that's about the same size as the one in Laguna, there's plenty of cheap or free parking, and I'm sure it would be no trouble to find a bar or restaurant in the area to host a jam session. There's also the Alex Theater in Glendale (which at least is in LA County), the Steve Allen Theater, any of the old movie palaces downtown (like the Paramount), the Jazz Bakery, the Silent Movie Theater (where Janet Klein occasionally plays), and plenty of good auditoriums at our local college campuses. Again, I'm glad that the Djangofest folks are bringing folks like Angelo Debarre to Southern California. I'm just grumpy because I live in LA but have to drive two hours to get to "Djangofest LA."
  • aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure it has a lot to do with the venue, but I am more inclined to think Nick, Alain, and co. would like to get a draw from farther away than LA. The close proximity to the airport is an important detail for a guy like me flying in from Buffalo. More than half of the audience will likely be driving more than two hours as well. While we're at it...how about a Djangofest somewhere in the Northeast?
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    Djangofest Binghamton! Sponsored by Dell'Arte and Wegmans!
  • dwannabedwannabe Coupeville, WashingtonNew
    I just came back from a Friday night and Saturday afternoon show at Djangofest LA, held in Laguna Beach. Nick does thank the people in attendance for coming to Djangofest Laguna Beach so I'm not sure what the name of the festival is now. Nick puts on three Djangofests' on the west coast and they all seem to be a work in progress. Djangofest Northwest is a bit more organized but it has been going for 5 or 6 years now. And for a review: Jorgenson's sound was awful Hard to believe a consummate professional would have that problem. Wremble; you either love his style or don't care for it. I'm in between. Robin Nolan was great as usual. Angelo Debarre was really on Sat. afternoon. He played until Nick pulled the plug. Angelo's English is getting much better and he is very good natured and humorous about it. It was great to have him show a bit more of himself. Is there a better rhythm guitarist than his cousin Tchavolo? Also great appreciation should go to Simon Planting for his willingness to play outstanding bass for anyone that needs him.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    ace wrote:
    While we're at it...how about a Djangofest somewhere in the Northeast?

This June will see the 3rd annual Django in June in Northampton, MA. June 16 to 18...come on down! This year we'll have Lollo Meier, Tim Kliphuis, and probably some other surprises...

I'll post more details (workshops etc.) as I get them.

Best,
    Jack.
  • ViejoVatoViejoVato New
    well this year it was bust ....

jack ... how did you all amnage to get Tim and lolo for the django in june gig ???
    that is a great coup mon ami ...

I may have to fly in after DFSW (shameless plug #1) for some OJT on my new Collins (not in my hands yet, but close ...)

meanwhile hop in the car and drive out to win the 'Frisco Phil' award ...
    www.dfsw.net ... check out my artwork ...

cheers,
    miller
    "I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way"
    my granny 'Meme' Foster circa 1998 at age 102
    Django Jerry Jam - home grown GJ & Dead Ahead pickin'
    http://www.DjangoJerryJam.com
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    If I'm not mistaken Andrew simply emailed Lollo via his site...I know Syl at LeQue recommended him as well as being someone who was a joy to deal with. I think there are a lot of musicians who'd be glad to be asked over, but too often people just don't ask...they want Bireli or no one (not you, milz!).

Best,
    Jack.
  • aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭
    Who'll be the first to get Ensemble Zaiti over to the states? I'll do it if you all show up. Dennis? Contact info?
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hi u can reach ensemble zaiti via mathieu chatelain (rhythm guitar player), his english is very good:

mathieu_chatelain AT hotmail.com

If you're organizing a festival ace, it would be great if you could consider the paulus schafer gipsy band, he is very eager to travel to the US, and is willing to come with a "reduced" band to save airfare costs... he is stochelo's cousin, and can be seen in the django legacy DVD playing rhythm guitar as a 14-15 yr old boy in the Dark Eyes segment (with little jimmy also... and falko... and sani)