DjangoBooks.com

Best Django CD collection?

252hardt252hardt New
edited January 2013 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 14
So to start offf on my gypsy jazz adventure I want to hear all of Django, and own it. There are heaps of CDs dedicated but I cannot choose. WhtaI'm really looking for is one that contains not just his best hits but most of the others. I would alos appreciate studio recordings. Thanks.

Comments

• Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    There is only one way to hear all of Django, and that is to get all 20 CD's from Frémaux titled "Intégrale Django Reinhardt". (Nearly 1000 recordings) They include pretty much everything he ever recorded that has been found with a few exceptions like performances that haven't been released yet, about 3 of them, plus a movie soundtrack played by Django and one arranged and composed by him but not played by him. It offers the best overall sound quality as well, a few sessions that are available on other CD's with slightly better quality, but the difference isn't too big.

Frémaux has released boxes now, I believe three boxes give you the complete collection at a lower price.

I should say that these also includes recordings with other artists where Django was only accompanying and having a minor role.