DjangoBooks.com

Chair for pain?

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
Ok, I know this is a bit bizarre....but it's kind of a drag...as some might know, I have a systemic nerve issue, along with some pretty nasty spinal arthritis and nerve entrapment that from time to time flares up badly - and I can't practice, at least at its worst. It actually got to me enough for me to stop playing, shortly after I came back to playing, in 2009.

I refuse to stop now, I love this music, and love playing it, too much.

That said, I've tried a ton of different chair options. I stretch several times during any one session of practice (but weirdly, though it provides some immediate relief, causes flaring up within hours...but that's another story). Anyone out there dealing with similar issues, have any favorite chair solutions they've tried?
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• Hey Paul

I use an ergonomic office chair that my wife bought me nearly 20 years ago now. It is sprung so it willl bounce up and down, fully adjustable for seat tilt back tilt seat position etc. It cost about a grand back then and they are probably more like 1500 bucks now.

I think one could get a pretty close version that has the same adjustments but perhaps would be as long lasting..the fabric on this is amazingly unworn after 20 years of daily use.

The other thing I have done is to use a footstand under my right foot to get the guitar at a height that has the least strain on my body.

That and remembering to sit straight keeps itdown to a dull roar
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Jay. Like you, I use a footrest - one of those collapsible "accordion" types. I was poking around the web for an ergonomic chair, but unfortunately, yeah, that option is overbudget. I put an assembly of pillows, just to ease it up a bit, and leaning back actually helps, but it's no way to practice, really, because I'll never play like this.

Thanks for the thoughts, buddy. I do comb Craigslist, and every now and then something comes up that looks promising, but so far all the used chairs we've gotten really don't add up to much.
    -Paul

• A less expensive option is to get one of those

special ergonomic orthopedic cushions and if you lean back an obusforme or Obus back rest. If you are sitting unsupported by backrest when you play the ergonomic cushion might just work for you. TAke it anywhere cheaply.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I switched to the ergo office chair (ripped the armrests off) at Jay's advice and that fixed it for me. Also added a lumbar support to remind me not to slouch. Going to get fixed pads to put in place of the wheels so it doesn't roll next mod.
  • BobFaillaBobFailla Jersey City, NJ✭✭
    PM sent.
    Thanks, guys. I am digging around, and your thoughts have been really helpful.

Paul
    -Paul

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I put a strap on my guitar and I like to alternate between standing and sitting.

It does seem to help my back when I'm practising for extended periods.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    I put a strap on my guitar and I like to alternate between standing and sitting.

It does seem to help my back when I'm practising for extended periods.

Oh, great, I'm just now getting to the point where I feel nominally "not a clown" pumping out the rhythm....all bets are off when I stand. :D

I'll give it a try, thanks, Will.

Paul
    -Paul