DjangoBooks.com

Mac software for music notation and tab?

kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
edited February 2013 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 178
Any suggestions for music notation and tab generating software for the Mac?

I hear a lot about power tabs but I don't have the OS to run it.

I have just started to figure out Angelo Debarre's 'Entre Amis' and I want to generate a music notation copy of it.

TIA

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Kev,

I'm on a PC but will probably be switching to a Mac when I inherit my kids old computer.

Post the info if you get it figured out as I will probably start making tabs on the computer once I am on the mac (just old skool pencil and paper right now).

thanks
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    Sure, will do Bones! :D
  • I've used Tablatures for OSX with success. You can download a trial copy here:

http://download.cnet.com/Tablatures/300 ... 54303.html
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Tablatures sounds interesting. Do you know how it compare with Guitar Pro? I'm thinking mostly about "ease" of tabbing -- not so much the other features of Guitar Pro. Thanks. AE
    jkaz wrote:
    I've used Tablatures for OSX with success. You can download a trial copy here:

http://download.cnet.com/Tablatures/300 ... 54303.html

I see it is compatible with PowerTab; very nice.

We'll give this a try.

Thanks!

BTW, here is a link where you can download a 15-day trial of it:

http://www.tellini.org/mac/tablatures

It needs an Intel Mac with OS X 10.6 or later. I have it running on 10.8.2 no problem. A quick-start tutorial can be found under the 'Help' pull down menu when you fire up the program.

It looks pretty cool. I didn't know that this kind of software would play the notation. That's great for verifying the notation especially for a beginner in music notation like me.

Now I just need a day off to play with it (*cough*cough*)...
    OK, this is great. Just been playing in it and making tabs for songs that I know.

Applying the note attributes is quick and easy. I've just been clicking around and playing with different styles of the same phrase.

I'm not surprised that it has that characteristic midi instrument sound (ya know, 1970s video game), but it is still is playing the notes at pitch and with the rhythm.

I like it. Would I pay the $34.99 fee for this? Verily!

I'm learning songs by putting the video or audio in VLC and slowing them down in there. After a couple of minutes of figuring out Angelo's blazing phrases in 'Entre Amis' I want to chart them with my analysis of the subtleties of playing because it's so intense to remember it all.

Will I be able to play like Angelo? Well, we're going to give it a try because it's friggin' amazing. Kinda like Richard Burton reciting Shakespeare if you ask me.

Thanks for this tip jkaz!