DjangoBooks.com

Modern players using Favino's?

When I first came to this site about 7 years ago, Favino style guitars were the "in" thing. Well, possibly thanks to guys like Jimmy Rosenberg and Andreas Oberg. Most of the modern guys now are playing more or less selmer copies with slightly darker characteristics, most likely due to bebop and straight jazz influences.

Any thoughts on this? How about you guys...Anyone here gigging with a Favino/Favino copy?

Here's one great sounding original Favino, which I believe belongs to a member on this site:

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    The fantastic Favino that Paulus is playing in the video belongs to my BFAM Michael Bauer. I recently purchased a 1977 Favino, but I don't gig with it - too afraid of damage. Instead I use my Rodrigo Shopis F model, which is a modern Favino style guitar. My Shopis S (Selmer) model was just listed for sale on Djangobooks, because the Favino put me deep into a financial hole, and I reluctantly decided to part with the S model and keep the F model, because I like the Favino style guitar so much.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    My main gigging guitar is a '79 Favino (recently acquired from Djangobooks). I absolutely love it. Not too worried about damaging it (aside from taking normal precautions), as the thing is built like a tank, has already had some marking etc on it from its previous owners, but is structurally very solid. Would really love one one day with the big block inlays...oh boy...

Here's a photo of mine:

Jon
  • MinorBluesMinorBlues New York✭✭✭
    klaatu - Rodrigo is actually doing fretwork on my Bucolo as we speak! It was pretty awesome seeing his workshop. How do you like the F model? More open/modern than your 77 favino I'm assuming?

Jon - Sweet guitar! Got any clips of it yet?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I wish I had easy access to Rodrigo. He's the only person that I would want working on my guitars. I love the F model. More modern sounding and balanced than the Favino, but the Favino has an ineffable quality to the sound that you just can't entirely duplicate with any new guitar. It also plays like a dream, thanks to Rodrigo's setup.

Here's the Favino:

and the Shopis:

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • MinorBluesMinorBlues New York✭✭✭
    klaatu wrote:
    I wish I had easy access to Rodrigo. He's the only person that I would want working on my guitars. I love the F model. More modern sounding and balanced than the Favino, but the Favino has an ineffable quality to the sound that you just can't entirely duplicate with any new guitar. It also plays like a dream, thanks to Rodrigo's setup.

Here's the Favino:

and the Shopis:

Love the 77 Favino! I'm a sucker for black pickguards.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Jon wrote:
    Not too worried about damaging it (aside from taking normal precautions) ...
    :lol: bollocks
    the night before kelsey and the band were asking .. why aren't you playing jon? where's your guitar?
    let the record show jon's reply: "it's safe" :wink:
    though in his defense, it was well past midnight and we probably could have sung 99 bottles of beer on the wall, and one of the other guy's castellucia almost had a woman's heel go through it shortly thereafter