Comments

• BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Very pleased to see Sitka being used.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    why so, if i may ask?

cheers,
    miguel.
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Sitka has been regarded as a flat top only wood for decades... only rarely do you see sitka used in arch tops or "other" such as a SEL-MAC.

I find sitka to have a special undefinable quality that isn't as "rarified" or as "precious" as European spruces. It can be very bold in tone as well as modulated.

I champion underdogs.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    thanks for the reply - i was just curious. isn´t sitka used in archtops? i can´t think of a good reason.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Just an FYI, sitka is standard on Shopis guitars (I can only speak for his Model F, Favino).
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yes sitka is pretty typical for archtops, or red spruce or European.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Speaking of woods, the maple in the back and sides of that guitar is stunning!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    yeah, the maple has nice flaming. out of curiosity, does one see selmer guitars (vintage or newer) with quilted maple? i just love quilted maple.
  • slowlearnerslowlearner ✭✭
    I recently purchased a USA made Dell Arte Selmer from Michael that featured Quilted Big-Leaf Maple sides & back. Nice guitar, fun to play. But I doubt the maple imparts any special characteristics. Frankly, it's a little garish if your taste runs to the traditional. I build cabinets & furniture and quilted maple is always a favorite with me and my clients. So I figured it would be fun to have a very one-of-a-kind guitar. The Busato has nice Fiddle-back maple which is a little more understated but still very striking.
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    i have some gorgeous sets of quilted bosnian maple, in which the quilting is more subdued (compared with american maples) and i think they´d make a wonderful guitar. i love the classical guitars i´ve seen with quilted and birdseye maple (the great Antonio Torres made some). i also like fiddleback/flamed maple (in fact i have one selmer type guitar made of it), but it comes next to quilted and birdseye.