DjangoBooks.com

I'm thinking about buying this... good?

kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
This guitar on eBay looks interesting to me:

Di Mauro Modele Django gypsy jazz guitar

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111044402261?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It's rare for these to pop-up in Canada so this may be a rare opportunity.

TIA Carlos

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I haven't played this particular guitar, but I know the owner, and have never known him to own a bad one. I even know why it's being sold. Nothing at all wrong with it, but he found and bought his dream guitar, and no longer needs this one. I can tell you he is honest, reputable, and is often lurking on this forum. It's difficult to find a good vintage guitar in this price range, and you just know it's going to compare favorably with the Chinese choices in this price range, so if you like it...
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I'm pretty sure I played this guitar at some point, and it would be a steal at the price. It murders my old Asian factory Gitane. The seller is very legit, he just has stacks of great guitars sitting around and needs to offload some of the lower end ones (and some higher end ones as well, if I'm not mistaken).
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Here's the video from when Michael had it for sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9CSj5rdN10&feature=player_detailpage
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    Thanks for the info and that vid is great.

That is a very nice guitar I must say.

Time go check out how much I have hidden in the mattress :lol:
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    kevingcox wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I played this guitar at some point ...
    Kevin, I'm not sure you actually have played this one. I don't recall bringing it to any of the jams, but maybe I'm wrong about that. It is definitely very cool and fun to play.

As Kevin mentioned, I am selling off some of my guitars, including one of my Rodrigo Shopises and a Dupont Busato Royale (both listed on Djangobooks). The only reason for the selloff is that I did indeed just recently find my all-time dream guitar, a beautiful 70s Favino built by Jacques himself, and I need to replace the funds that got sucked up in that purchase. I'm whittling my collection down to the Favino and my other Rodrigo Shopis, which is a Favino style model. Guess I just really like Favinos.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    I'm afraid I know the serial :-)
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Strangely, it didn't sell this time around. Bidding seemed to be going very well, but it stalled early yesterday, without the usual flurry of last minute bidding to get it past the reserve. I've reposted it here:
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111049142512?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649#ht_500wt_1413
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Out of curiosity, what is the philosophy behind a reserve on ebay? I just don't get it... why post an item without telling what the minimum bid is? Does that tend to generate more interest or something?

I personally never bid on stuff where the reserve isn't met, I guess I can't be bothered trying to figure out what someone's minimum price might be so it isn't even worth clicking on for me.
    That's pretty much the way it works in auctions in general, Kevin. Not stating the reserve and setting the opening bid low (or not at all) does seem to encourage bidding.

In a live auction, the auctioneer will usually state a value and then start the bidding at some lower dollar amount. If that generates no bids, he'll drop it to get things going. If the item's any good (and the auctioneer is, too), it will pretty rapidly climb back up. If there's a reserve, that fact will be mentioned but no amount given.

I've found that most eBay sellers will tell you the reserve if you ask, but if it's stated up front, it can put a chill on the bidding. I know, if you think about it too much, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's the way it works in practice. Just as in a live auction, people can get all wound up and bid like crazy, especially in the last few minutes, so the trick is to get them started.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    We are such funny creatures.