DjangoBooks.com

GITANE nylon string.

Does anybody have/use the Gitane nylon-string model?
I have seen the review of it here, and appreciate it is a perfectly good guitar for gypsy jazz.
I would be interested in anyone's opinion of it, viewed as a nylon-string.
Any good for classical? Flamenco? Other styles typically played on nylon strung guitars?
In a nutshell, how versatile is it?

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I do not have a Gitane, but I have three nylon string guitars, a 1924 Maccaferri, a 1991 J.P. Favino, and a 2011 Rodrigo Shopis.

The Favino Jazz N is the odd duck, with a floating bridge, cedar (I think) back and sides, and I built-in pickup that I have never once plugged in. It is really designed to be played with a pick, and is every bit as loud as steel string guitars. You can play classical on it, but it sounds strange. Try to imagine that Favino honk in a nylon string guitar. It would work well for flamenco, I think. In fact, I think of it a a cross between a gypsy jazz and a flamenco guitar. There is video of Jeff Raidich playing it at Django in June somewhere on this site.

The Maccaferri has only been here a week, but it has a very small body, a split bridge saddle a la later Selmer-Maccaferri nylons, and is as loud as a good classical, with really rich, nice tone. A typical innovative Maccaferri product... I would never play it with a pick, out of respect for what it is...and its age.

The Shopis would be most like a Gitane, except much better, and it doubles for me as a classical, and I use it for Django's Improvisations, because I think the two I play (#s 2 and 3) sound much better on nylon instead of steel strings. It also gets played alot with a pick, especially late a night when I am trying to let my better half sleep.

I heard Lulo Reinhardt last fall playing a whole concert on a nylon string Gitane, and it sounded really good.

The German GJ guitarist, Ottorino Galli plays a 14-fret, oval hole Selmer copy with nylon strings, and it sounds great!

The best budget nylon string I ever had was a prototype made by Manouche Guitars in England. It sounded really great for the money, and lives with a friend of mine in Canada these days.

I wish I could help you with the Gitane specifically, but I haven't played one. I'm sure it would be fine, though.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Hi Michael. Here's the YouTube vid of Jeff Radaich playing the nylon string Favino at Django in June 2011. Very hip guitar; surprisingly loud, and Jeff does some tasty licks on it too! AE