DjangoBooks.com

GJG's vs. American arch top's

Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
edited May 2013 in Welcome Posts: 440
A post I saw onDB.com today got me thinking.
The question was why more American arch top guitars weren't around back in the day's when French Swing was being innovated by QHCOF .
When I read the question a hundred possibilities came into my mind.
The first of which was the practical matter of shipping fragile musical instruments to Europe.
Other things come to mind. Tariff and taxes. A factor for French goods coming our way, and surely equalled by tariff and tax going the other way. OK fine.
Finally I realized the primary reason you didn't see more American guitars in France ! They simply did not need them ! France has plenty of guitars that were good sounding and loud enough to do anything they needed to do with out resorting to importing from anywhere else.
I decided to compare a 1934 Epiphone Masterbuilt Deluxe , the top of the line in the day and a good example BTW, with a very different sort of French guitar, an early to mid 40's Gerome.
Although the Epiphone sounds awesome, literally . The Gerome buries the Epi. for volume and punch.
OK its true that you can hear the Epi about 1/4 mile away but the Gerome leaves you pummeled and breathless in a normal sized room and its just this short scale little thing.
Folks in France didn't need our fancy pants archtop guitars. They had their own guitars.
Thats my non scientific theory. :wink: