DjangoBooks.com

Django Playing Rhythm in The Hague

seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
edited May 2013 in Technique Posts: 115
I stumbled across this video of Django in The Hague in 1937, which I hadn't seen before. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's got great footage of Django playing rhythm. Definitely no muted 2 and 4!

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=6jLnuv4j_vw#/51;60

original video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Lnuv4j_vw#!

Comments

• StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited May 2013 Posts: 349
    Yeah, that clip is so hot. Don't forget the Rhythm Jiggers and Swing Pappas. Looks like they caused some heavy action on the dance floor. Django and the boy's le pompe drove it all up to another level The foot tapping is kind of subtle, more off the heel, but there's a lot of neck swinging going on.
    Swang on,
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Oh yes, that's some serious head banging on the stage! So Django invented that too? :D
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    left heel tapping, gently, on all 1 2 3 4 beats.
    tchavolo does the same, but much harder sometime lifting the whole foot in the air :)
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    The drummer in the Rhythm Jiggers was so into it, he tied a cymbal to his foot! The Hot Club Quintette's powerhouse rhythm (with 3 guitars!) is very infectious and really drives the tune. On the other hand, The Swing Pappas kind of drag the beat. Maybe the guitarist should be tapping his foot harder? Interesting he's playing a National. Sounds kind of funky.
    Swang on,
    Well, before the high-hat, there was the low-hat! Yes, it's true. But I think the hi-hat was invented long before 1937, so I don't know why the first band uses the old low-boy. Perhaps it was just an evening when everyone got crazy and used old gear, just as Django who, as we have seen, played his old Selmer-Maccaferri D-hole instead of the newer Selmer model that is the topic of this thread...
    Sorry, the tropik of this thread, http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11860

I made a link from that one to this one. Then I mixed them up. Oh what a mess! It was easier in 1937. At least they didn't have so complicated technology. And the music was ok, especially that hot French quintet with three guitarists. :D
    Buco
  • djangologistdjangologist ArgentinaNew Repiso - Dupont
    edited February 2023 Posts: 10

Hi! Does anyone knows what was the event? The Hague in 1937, Jazz Concours In Den Haag 1937?

Thank you!