DjangoBooks.com

Recording with DIY Ribbon Mic

bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
edited May 2013 in Recording Posts: 156
Hi!

I decided to build an Austin Ribbon Microphone after reading good reviews about them:
http://www.diyribbonmic.com/

I can say that corrugating the ribbon film and placing it wasn't an easy task and I'm not sure did I get the right tension for it but anyway... here's a sound sample I recorded. No EQ added..
https://soundcloud.com/tomi-kettunen/to ... diy-austin

What do you think? Does it lack treble too much etc?

Comments

• Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    I can't say I know a lot about these things but it sounds great to me. From my experience, ribbon mics are a bit dark anyway. I think yours sounds very good. Great playing too! AE
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    +1
    HCQ
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Just curious but... did you buy the kit or build the mic from scratch? Either way, you did a great job. I just listened again to your sample and compared it with the sample on the DIY website and I thought your mic held up more than well! Again, congrats. AE
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    Just curious but... did you buy the kit or build the mic from scratch? Either way, you did a great job. I just listened again to your sample and compared it with the sample on the DIY website and I thought your mic held up more than well! Again, congrats. AE

Hi Eddy! Thanks! I bought the kit.. I thought it would have been a really tought job sourcing all the parts so.. It's amazing how good can a microphone with only two magnets, a ribbon film and a transformer sound. So simple..