DjangoBooks.com

Dell'Arte Sweet Chorus 14F Jazz Guitar USA Mfg "ANY INFO?"

pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
Saw a Dell'Arte Sweet Chorus 14F Jazz Guitar USA Mfg on ebay

I don't know much about how they are.

Anyone have any opinions from experience with them.

I have a Gitane DG 300 I love and was wondering if this would be a better guitar.

Here is the ebay link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281105018573?ss ... 1423.l2649

ANY THOUGHTS

thanks pickitjohn

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Thanks Stuart,

you said
    If you can stretch to it it's worth saving up for the >$2000 guitars.

What would you recommend?

Thanks pickitjohn
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Dell Arte but it's the oval hole Jimmy Rosenberg model. However, the fretboard on the guitar in question looks similar to mine and John seems to prefer ebony for the fretboards of his guitars.
    IMO the easy to play fretboard is one of Dell Artes real strengths, so in terms of playability I think it will be a step up although I haven't tried the Sweet Chorus model so I can't say for sure.

From the price it was bought new I'd assume quality-wise it's close to the Jimmy model but that's all speculation based on them being in approximately the same price class.

Try before buy is your best bet although I can't say I have always lived by that statement. But all in all I would assume that guitar is a significant step up from the Gitane.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited May 2013 Posts: 936
    Seems like one of my post disappeared into cyberspace

From the ebay pictures it seems the guitar is strung with nylon strings.

I'm sure Argentines would really improve the sound quality.

Any one have any experience with USA Dell'Arte guitars

Quote from ebay sale page:

Dell'Arte Sweet Chorus Jazz Guitar

Up for sale, a Dell-Arte Sweet Chorus jazz, "Maccaferri-style" guitar. The body looks like spruce with rosewood sides and back and mahogany neck. This guitar is in very good overall condition. The body looks very good - there are some light marks, but no dings, dents, cracks, damage, signs of repair or any issues. The binding and rosette look great. The neck looks straight and feels very good, however the frets show a good amount of wear. The action is nice and low. The guitar sounds great, although it could use a new set of strings. It has good resonance and nice mid-tones. This listing includes a hard-sided case which has some marks and nicks on the exterior but is in good overall condition.
    This guitar should make a great player. The current retail price is $2700.

From the pictures can anyone tell the back and side woods?

From what I could get from the net the common version of the Dell-Arte Sweet Chorus did come with Rosewood sides and back. These pictures look like mahogany to me.

Thanks for the help and wisdom. Love having such a great community.

Cheers

:D
    pickitjohn
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited May 2013 Posts: 349
    I have a Dell Arte Studio Homage which I love. It has some similar appointments: walnut neck, ebony board, faux tortise shell binding, Selmer style logo, etc. I absolutely love it. Bought used for about the same price. I guess it's about 7 or 8 years old. The frets are especially nice and it plays very smooth. fairly dry without too many overtones. Big, squarish shaped neck (dig me some big necks). I reckon US made Dell Arte's are great deals.
    Swang on,
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    The Sweet Chorus originally had rosewood back and sides, but later versions were mahogany. I've never seen a 14 fret Sweet Chorus, though, I thought they were always 12 fret. Mine (my gypsy starter guitar) was very loud and not bad for what I paid for it ($1000 secondhand). I've never really been all that impressed with Dell'Arte guitars, but others will not agree with me on that. À chacun son goût.

If you can dig deeper, you can't beat this for a D hole:
    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Item/rodrigo-shopis-model-s
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Klaatu said:
    If you can dig deeper, you can't beat this for a D hole
    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Ite ... el-s/quote]

Fun to imagine.

Right now I'm digging with my grand daughters beach shovel. Felt good getting the $1395.00 for the Dell'Arte.

The Rodrigo Shopis looks great.
    Anyone got excavation tools to mine that GOLD for me.

pickitjohn