DjangoBooks.com

Lessons in Philly?

sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
edited November 2006 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 415
Does anyone know if there are any good teachers for gypsy jazz-style guitar in the Philadelphia area?

thanks,

John

Comments

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Yo,
    have you check'd with barry warren? (hot club of philly?) or Kruno spisic, both amazing players who teach guitar for a day gig as well as play. They are both super nice guys as well. Also there's the great tony hughes, but good luck getting him to teach- i think he has another career! If i'm not mistaken you want really traditional stuff- i'd get in touch with barry.
    Cheers,
    Good luck,
    B.
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Thanks for the tips. I have 3 young kids & don't get out much, so I;m not up on the local scene. I took a look at Kruno's website -- he sounds like a great player & I see he's got a regular gig near here so I'll have to check him out. Will try to get in touch with Barry too.

Thanks again!

John
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    One of my main hopes in discovering this sight was finding a teacher in the Philly area. I tried repeatedly to send a message through the Hot Club of Philly sight, but have failed every time to get it to take. I would love to find a good teacher in the area, especially for traditional gypsy jazz. How could I reach Barry? My only other alternative is driving to NYC, which is a decent haul.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    To reach Barry post to the Yahoo gypsyjazzguitar group; he isn't that active these days, but all those cats know him...ask Dan to put you in touch.

Best,
    Jack.
    I've been talking with Kruno -- trying to pin down a date for a lesson. Will go see him play at London Grill next Thurs.

Thanks again for the leads...

John
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I went to see Kruno at the World Cafe...fantastic player! I found it a little harder to pin him down for a lesson time, but in the meantime, made contact with Barry Warren. Had my first lesson on Sunday and it was a revelation. Barry had to learn this stuff as an adult as well, so he has thought through the process, explains it well, and understands the frustrations that go along with rethinking the guitar in mid-life.

John, if you hook up with Kruno, let me know how it goes. I am still going to try to meet with him, but it will be a least a couple of more weeks.
    Hi Michael,

I am supposed to have a lesson with Kruno tomorrow night -- that reminds me, I'd better confirm. He has been busy and is tough to pin down.

I was also at the World Cafe Live gig. Thought he was great.

Barry's up in the far Northeast, right? I'm in West Philly so something closer to CC works a lot better for me. Let me know if you'd like to get together & play sometime. Warning: I'm a real beginner with this GJ stuff.

Best wishes,

John
    Really? You were at the WC too? My wife and I were sitting right in front of Kruno. There was a guy sitting by the window, and I remember wondering to my wife if that could be you, since the guy came in with a guitar. Whoever it was went back stage with Kruno a bit later. I thought maybe you were getting a lesson during the breaks!!!

I was supposed to have a lesson with Kruno this afternoon, but I could never pin him down to a time and I still don't know where he teaches. I finally had to cancel as I was asked to participate in a meeting and had no scheduled excuse not to.

Barry is in Northeast Philly. I live in Jersey, so the ride was an hour each way. It was worth it. I reached him Friday night and had a lesson Sunday.

I'd love to get together, both to play and to hear music. My wife tries to be tolerant of my musical tastes, but she doesn't like going out to hear stuff much. I'd go more if there was someone to hang out with. I am a raw beginner at this, too, but playing together might help us both with timing, as well as rhythm and imporovization. Just don't laugh at my woeful playing...
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Michael and John,

You guys should try to make it up to Massachusetts this year for Django in June (June 16-18 )-a weekend full of playing, workshops, and shows. This year (so far) it's going to be Lollo Meier and Tim Kliphuis. When the information is ready, it'll be posted here:
    http://www.acousticguitarnetwork.org/

I wonder if M. Horowitz will grace us with his bounty of CDs and lessons again?

Best,
    Jack.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Jack wrote:

I wonder if M. Horowitz will grace us with his bounty of CDs and lessons again?

Yes...I most likely will be there!

'm