DjangoBooks.com

sell me on a selmer

hey everyone!

i'm brand new to the forum and to gypsy jazz guitar and I wanted to ask an opinion of those who have been through the learning process...

i've been playing for about 20 years. i'm totally self-taught and have played mostly classic rock type stuff. basically, i've got a decent ear and a lot of bad habits. thanks to django i'm trying to change this, but i have just started taking lessons to learn proper technique (and eventually theory) for the first time, which i'm supplementing by seeking out all the information about gypsy jazz guitar I can find online.

what i'm wondering is how important you all feel it is to get a Selmer-type guitar while I'm just beginning? do you feel like having a selmer-type guitar is critical to learning the style?

i have a Martin D-1 acoustic that I play most of the time and a Gretsch Tennessee Rose when I want to plug in. if I was going to get a selmer-type guitar within the next few months, i probably couldn't spend more than $400-500 on it. it seems like that pretty much limits me to a Cigano or Gitane. next year, i might be able to get a guitar in the $800-$1200 range, like an Altamira or something used.

so i guess i'm trying to decide if i should get one of the most affordable models as soon as I can, even if that means I might be stuck with it for a while, or if i'd be better off just playing the Martin until I can get a solid all-around guitar I won't want or need to upgrade for quite some time.

okay, pretty broad question, sorry, but i'd love any feedback you all have. thanks!

j

Comments

• slowlearnerslowlearner ✭✭
    I thought I could learn Gypsy jazz on my archtop. I was stunned when I got my second hand Dell Arte from Django Books.....it makes ALL the difference. It took only a week or so to get used to the feel of a new guitar and I have come to understand why everyone on this forum is so enamored of these guitars. They really are different....and I've owned a lot of different guitars.
    So, yea, get a Selmer copy.
  • Maybe if you live in the right part of the world try a few. I imagine if you get onto a good one you would be blown away by the comparison with your Martin.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • la pompe magiela pompe magie los angelesNew
    Thanks for the responses guys! And for feeding the devil over my shoulder instead of the other guy :)

I have found one place near me that does sell a few gypsy jazz guitars - the Fretted Frog in Echo Park - http://frettedfrog.com/ShopWithUs/Guitars/Jazz.php - looks like they specialize in stuff right in my price range! now i'm really bummed I'm going out of town this weekend, but I'll check them out one day next week for sure.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Play some of the guitars nearby, but get an Alta Mira from django books if you can afford 1200. It sounds great and the longer you have it, the better it will sound.

Cheers

Anthony
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited June 2013 Posts: 705
    I'm a long time guitarist with a background in rock, blues and country. I have a couple of Les Pauls, a Telecaster, and a 50 yr. old Martin 00-18. The Martin sounded decent enough when I started learning a bit of gypsy jazz, but the action was high and reach was limited above the 12th fret. After a couple of months, I picked up a Gitane DG-255, used but in good condition and even though it has "overtone" problems", when it sounds good, it is totally different than my 00-18. The longer scale takes a bit of getting used to, but it plays fast, stays in tune and looks like a piece of art sitting on it's stand. You have to experiment with Gypsy strings and find a nice, fat pick (I like Dunlop Primetone 3mm large rounded tip and Galli Strings), buy a couple of Michael's books and find some new friends to jam with. You can sound good with a flattop acoustic as Filadefo Castro proves with his version of Minor Swing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIwnsl2wXO8), although some Django purists may not like this version, I would be ecstatic to play it so well. I've flirted with becoming a jazz guitarist often, but may actually do it now that I have discovered this genre and the nice people who play it. Buy a selmer style guitar, used or new, and you won't be sorry. They are kind of rare on Craigslist, for example, so I'm guessing they hold their value somewhat well in case you decide to sell. Here is an example of one on CL in the SF Bay area now: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/3840180227.html. I paid about the same for mine including the case. If you get the chance in LA, go see Gonzalo Bergara ASAP.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    You could try Westwood Music and McCabes on the west side. They often have one or two US made Dell Arte's in stock. McCabes and Truetone usually have some Gitanes or Ciganos. The Dell Arte's are way better IMHO, but also more expensive and yes, a Selmer style guitar makes a HUGE difference, both in sound and playability. First time I played one, I couldn't believe it. Where had these guitars been hiding all my life? They DO pop up on Craigs List from time to time. Worth checking for sure. The selection and prices Michael has here on the site are amazing.
    Swang on,
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Cigano IMO are a good choice for your first GJ guitar. If you're looking for something better (or I should say fancier!) and your budget is limited, keep an eye on second-hand guitars also... this one for example looks interesting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gitane-John-Jor ... 4ac56b1ce4
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Play one and sell yourself. :D

I couldn't believe the difference. I got a Martin D35, and a Martin D28, both of which my Luthiers two different ones have tried to buy, and they hang on my wall. I picked up a Gitane John Jorgenson D300 and it's my go to guitar. It'll change your life and playing. Wish I could of played an Altamira Guitar first. I'm not at all unhappy with my Gitane it's a good one, just if Michael says Altamira Guitars are the best Asian Selmer copies.

"TRUST HIM"

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Category/Altamira

pickitjohn
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    There's a Manouche Moreno model on LA Craigs List for $850. Don't know if that's a good deal or not, but it looks nice. Lovely case too.
    Swang on,

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/ms ... 99871.html
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    It's a good deal even if it is not one of the first "green felt/square label" batch.