DjangoBooks.com

the FINAL SPRINT to DIJ !! What are YOU doing to prepare ?

anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
edited June 2013 in Welcome Posts: 561
Hey folks...

So Django in June is just right around the corner, and if you're anything like me, you wish you had practiced a bit more since last year, and feel like you COULD be much better by now. That said, I have, to an extent, made up for it by getting a lot of practice in over the last 2 months.

So now, with just a few days left, what to do to best prepare ??

Here's what i'm doing, and I hope some decide to chime in about what they're doing...

I'm looking over all the core curriculum tunes (ignoring the bossas for reasons I brought up in the bossa rant thread), and basically doing dennis Changs "skeleton exercise" over each song in every position (FYI the skeleton exercise is just playing the arpeggios of the chords in time with the changes)...

After I do the skeleton for a particular song in every neck position, I then spend a few minutes connecting some licks over all the changes in said song, out of time, just to get a feel for the possibilities.

What about YOU ??

Anthony

Comments

• Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Where is the "curriculum" list? I seem to remember a thread about this before.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Charles, here. There's stuff that's considered "standard" for every year, and every year, they pull together a kind of emphasis and more advanced tunes, so players can prepare ahead of time.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I'm preparing by slicing open my index finger on broken glass so that I can't hold a pick for the next week! 8) 8) 8)

I wish I were joking :? :? :?
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    This looks really cool. I'll be in Tampa that week. So do you guys with families bring them up? Anyone know the dates for 2014? 6/23 is my son's birthday so I'm probably limited in potential dates based on that.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    I've just been trying to *play* a lot more over the last few weeks, to build up some extra calluses and (hopefully) avoid the usually-inevitable second-day-of-DIJ bloody fingers. :|

Adrian
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I'm practicing getting by on two hours (or less) sleep a night.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I'm working on my wardrobe.

Ive got to be honest: last year my playing didn't really impress anybody.

But one day I wore a pair of white slacks and a blue and white striped sailor jersey.

So several guys from France were looking at me and talking... and then Stephane Wrembel came over and said, "Do you realize how FRENCH you look?"
    DeuxDoigts_Tonnerre
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i've mainly been working with tcha limberger on the upcoming video lesson! can't wait til next week!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200870370615873
  • I haven't changed what I've been doing at all, which is working on material from my lessons about an hour and a half to two hours a day. I had some tendinitis earlier in the spring which caused me to stop altogether, so I'm not pushing it.
  • swingnationswingnation ✭✭
    Sounds to me like everyone else is prepping the wrong way.

Personally, I've been getting ready by losing an hour of sleep each night til I'm down to about 2-3, improving my whisky intake by adding 1/2 ounce more each night til i can down 3/4 a bottle in one sitting (Bauer- I'm ready for you my man), pulling off a couple layers of skin from my fingers and playing a few licks faster than I should, improving my telepathic abilities to know when Dennis will randomly pop into a room to rip out a quick Patrus 53 into riff, remembering that the recycling bin in your room doubles as an ice cooler, and finally adding songs on my ipod to listen to anything else except GJ on the way home.