DjangoBooks.com

ladder-braced thinline for electric GJ?

colorado_hickcolorado_hick Hotchkiss Colorado✭✭
I like the sound of the stimers and the deArmonds on a good GJ guitar, but not the look and feel of the after market attachment, especially on the D holes (currently playing DuPont MD-100).
Has anyone run across a purpose-built guitar for that plugged in sound, with a fixed pickup? I am picturing a flat-top, f-hole, thin body, ladder bracing, selmer style neck/bridge/tuners/tail piece, maybe with the kent armstrong single coil? Does stimer make a model that permanently attaches? I might be willing to tackle a build but i would want to do as much research before so i would end up with that warm, almost 'honky' sound like a stimer on a dupont.

Comments

• Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I've seen Samson Schmitt play a Shopis as you describe - Selmer style neck and body, f-holes, and a Charlie Christian pickup. Not a thin line, though. Gitane may make one DG450 or something
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • slowlearnerslowlearner ✭✭
    Shelly Park makes something like what your looking for:
    http://www.parkguitars.com/fresh-sheet- ... ic-guitar/
  • colorado_hickcolorado_hick Hotchkiss Colorado✭✭
    Park's model looks interesting, very similar to what i had in mind. But I am not sure about using a pot to blend a piezo and a single coil. Id rather go with two output jacks, or maybe a TRS jack so you could split the signal and use a preamp on the piezo.
    Anybody out there every played one of Shelly Park's acoustic/electric slimlines?
  • slowlearnerslowlearner ✭✭
    I have seen both Ryan Hoffman and Troy Chapman of Pearl Django play a Shelly Park electric thinline. Not sure who it belongs to...
    You might want to contact them, as I'm sure they would be willing to share their experience gigging with one.
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    I have an AJL with permanent magnetic pickup. It's not a thinline, but its specially built for electric tone. It's designed to have a low acoustic volume, so it's ideal for practising, if you don't want to annoy your family, friends or neighbours. For the same reason (low acoustic volume, reduced resonance) you can turn it up very loud without feedback problems. I've played 20+ gigs with this and I love it. It's the most problem-free gig-guitar for GJ I've ever had.

silentselmer2.jpg
    AJLsilentguitarup.jpg
    AJLsilentback.jpg
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    That AJL is gorgeous!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    There was sunburst Dell Arte with f-holes and built in Charlie Christian pickup on eBay a few years ago. It got snapped up pretty quick. One of the nicest guitars I've ever seen. Kind of a cross between a Selmer and a Gibson ES150.
    Swang on,