DjangoBooks.com

"It'd be nice, but..." - PA only for all amp'ed needs?

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
I've invested in a PA system for our band, Soundcraft MFXi12 and RCF 310A's. I've a good amp. I could run line out, pre-eq from the amp and use the amp as a monitor, but that's then just my monitor.

One thought I had, was just to sell this amp, and use that towards a pair of monitors. In an ideal world, I'd keep both and may still do that, but cash is tight. I know it's lugging PA everywhere, but it's not that big a deal, to me (particularly since I won't be carrying it with any regularity :wink: ). Anyone with any thoughts on using a PA only?
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    I recommend keeping a small amp. I played out recently in a coffee shop thru a PA only. The speakers were overhead and positioned in front of the stage (no monitors). It was a pain in the ass, not being able to hear myself, even though the volume front of house was okay. I used to play out frequently (about 15 years ago). It reminded me how important it is to be able to hear yourself. Next time I'm bringing an amp.
    Swang on,
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    What about a dedicated monitor or two? Don't even know if it's possible to play at a level that low (for small places), but one system, one's PA w/monitors, everywhere?
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I hate lugging a big 800-watt PA unless it's absolutely necessary. We only play places that need that much firepower maybe once or twice a year. I avoid extra cartage at all costs - the simpler, the better.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com