DjangoBooks.com

DG-250m with crazy high action

?Hey Guys
This is my first time posting here.
I was able to pick up a DG-250M with some kind of pickup and a case on craigslist or $500 which I felt was a good deal. However, I live in Denver and the person who I bought it from got it on Ebay. He said when he got it the action was low and he took it into someone to have the action raised. Now the action is quite high. Something like 6mm from the top of the 12th fret. It looks like he shimmed the bridge to raise it up but he glued the shims onto the bridge. Do you guys have any tips?
The person I bought it from was super nice and said he take it back if I had trouble adjusting the action.
Any tips?
Thanks
-matt

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Hi Matt

Welcome to posting, there sure is a lot of info to be had here.
    Not KNOWING what glue or adhesive was used to glue the shims can't be real sure what your up against. The Gitanes are known to usually improve with a new bridge or bridge adjustments. There are many post on the subject. My guitars improved up to 70% messing with my bridge.

Is the shims one piece on each foot of the bridge or multiple pieces? If your lucky and a water base glue was used. I'd see if steam would open the bond. You could take the bridge off and make yourself a note of base & treble side. Should be visible if the string slots are small to large. If you had a garment steamer or kettle you could use that.

There a post in this forum by Josh "Fitting your bridge" that I would recommend reading first, does not address your specific problem but can increase your confidence in Doing it yourself.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1200

You can also use the search feature to find previous talks on "BRIDGES"

good Luck

pickitjohn
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Try using a single sided razor blade (the kind that you would use to remove paint from windows) and carefully see if you can lift the shims off with that. Please don't cut your fingers.
    The guitar is a nice one, quite loud. An action of 3.0 to 3.5 mm on the E string ought to be plenty .
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I actually took the guitar back per Michaels advice. He suggested I save up for an Altamira. The person I bought it from was super kind and it took it back with no issues.
    I'm hoping to just save up and get the m30.
    Now, the next question is how important is a custom setup?
    Set Up Special: Fret Dress, Custom Bridge, and Tailpiece Leather (Set Up is Free (+$197.00)

Worth doing for a super amateur?
    What is the benefit of a custom bridge on an altamira?
    What benefit is the leather?
    Thanks guys