DjangoBooks.com

Lights, camera... ACTION!?

matty42matty42 tyrone, pa✭✭✭
I'm on a quest to fine tune the set up of my guitars. Trying out strings and the like. One thing I can't seem to find a straight answer to is the string action.

What measurements are considered high? What is considered low?

I mean, obviously this can be answered visually to some extent but I'm interested also in learning more about my guitar and how it functions, and at what measurements and set up it plays best.

So basically I'm not looking for a "whatever feels right to you" type answer. I would like to know some actual measurement ranges/specs.

I have a long scale neck guitar (DG-300). I recently learned that for a longer scale with higher action lighter strings are recommended. So I am trying that out. So if I can learn more about the string height that would help in this regard too.

I'm probably going to get a measuring tool from STEWMAC too. Would I be better off getting the mm one or the one that is in inches?

Thanks!

Comments

• 2mm on treble and 2.5 on bass would be considered low and for many guitars and players would likely have buzzes from fret contact
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • 2mm on treble and 2.5 on bass would be considered low and for many guitars and players would likely have buzzes from fret contact
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • matty42matty42 tyrone, pa✭✭✭
    Thanks. I would guess that my bass strings are around 3.5mm. That's using my Wegan pick at the 12th fret as a measuring device.

I put on a set of Argentine light strings today and it sounds really good. I had a set of Silk and Steel medium strings, but they were really noisy. Too much finger movement sound. The Argentines don't seem to have that problem. Funny though because the silk and steel strings sound great on my other guitar.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Hey Matty

Good luck on getting your guitar right. It will make all the difference in the world and usually a lot cheaper then a new guitar. You may want to search the forum for bridges. Having a correct fitting light bridge will usually help a Gitane guitar.

There's a video on youtube "Bob Holo quick course on gypsy jazz guitar setup"
    Be sure to click the show more under the video. According to Bob as a general guide your "gypsy guitar should be set up to 2.9/2.35 with 12/1000" relief"
    Link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4AsILK_kH8

I don't recall who from the community posted this but it had a title
    Handy Facts - Dimensions & Space

you can use combinations see where your action is

twelfth fret distance between top of fret and bottom of string

not the fretboard

Penny 1.55mm
    Nickel 1.95mm
    Dime 1.35mm
    Quarter 1.75mm
    1/2$ 2.15mm