DjangoBooks.com

AT831B ? Anyone has an opinion ?

PatrickPatrick Paris, FranceNew
Hello folks,

I'm considering buying a microphone for my guitar that has no piezzo installed. I'm seriously considering buying some sort of "hang-on" microphone (tie mic or I don't know what you call them): see the very small microphone installed in Bireli's guitar on the live in Vienne DVD.

I found the Audio-Technica AT831B on the web. Has anyone tried it or does anyone use it. I'd like to know how it sounds and if feedback is a big problem. I plan to plug it in a Baggs Para Acoustic DI (with phase inversion and low cut filter) and then plug it in a AER Compact 60 amp.

Thanks in advance for any opinion on this microphone or this kind of microphone. Other brands and model types may be suggested if you have some experience with them.
Let me know.

Take care,

Patrick.

Comments

• cgrathamcgratham New
    Hi Patrick,

I bought a similar AT Pro7A a number of years ago. While I was able to use it with the compact 60 for a few gigs, feedback has been a huge problem. So much so that I never use it any more. Now, I just use a new Stimer. Different sound, low hassle.

I have had more success with a K&K internal mic system in my OM style flat top. It is a dual piezo/mic system and it allows me to mix in enough mic for a good sound but keep it low enough to remove feedback.

I do wonder though if the mic being inside the body of the guitar makes it more feedback resistant than when the pro 7A is mounted outside on the top.

Cheers, Chris
    I tried one and found that it worked OK for single line playing, but forget about it with regard to rhythm, the feedback was so bad I had to pretty much turn it to zero.

save your bones and get the Schertler (I use the Schertler in conjunction with a Bigtone in the bridge), it's a vast improvement!
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I own that mic. I really like it but really had to do my home work to get it to work correctly. If I had endless cash it would have been easy. However, I do not and there for made it work for as little as I could and still get a good sound.

I have posted many times on this exact thing but can't find any of them as they were posted along time ago. SO I'll post again. :)

My amp: Fender Blues Jr.
    Mic: AT831B
    Preamp: Behringer Shark DSP110
    Cables: Monster Cables Jazz (X 2)

The element that allows me to use the mic is the Shark. It is a little hard to use at first but very worth the time learning. There are other products that do what the Shark does but not for the low price. I paid about $100 for mine a year or so ago. My rhythm players uses the same mic but through an AER Domino and does not need the Shark but he also is not playing as the volume a lead player needs to achieve. If he turns up too much he gets feedback. The AREs have a kick ass preamp that allows him to play a lower levels just fine.

I can site right in front of my amp and play in a noisy café just fine. If I really need to be louder, say for an out door venue, I just need to make some adjustments to my position relative to my amp. The Shark does not color the sound much if at all that I can hear. The really nice thing about the mic is it gives a very true representation of the tone of the guitar.

As for the amp I have most always played a tube amp. I just love the tone. I like the ARE and all the new stuff too but for the money it’s not worth it to me. I would rather put that money into another guitar! With the tube amp I can get a real vintage sound that fits the music perfectly and if I want to go to my archtop I can with out changing amps.

I spent about 2 years trying most every thing out when it came to amplification and I’m happy with what I have now.

Hope this helps,
    Josh
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Patrick wrote:
    Hello folks,

I'm considering buying a microphone for my guitar that has no piezzo installed. I'm seriously considering buying some sort of "hang-on" microphone (tie mic or I don't know what you call them): see the very small microphone installed in Bireli's guitar on the live in Vienne DVD.

Hi Patrick,

Bireli's mic came up somewhere else a few times, and someone who spoke to his soundman mentioned that the clip-on you see on the DVD was only used for the stage monitors. Like you read above, feedback will probably be an issue if you're trying to use it on its own...

Best,
    Jack.