DjangoBooks.com

G-String and lead/rhythm volume question

What string company makes the best g-string? I go through them too fast.

Also, I play in a non-traditional gypsy swing group with drums and piano. It is pretty difficult to get good levels on both rhythm and lead. I prefer to use a light touch on my lead so I can get more nuance and have more head room but that means I have to play overly light on rhythm. Does anyone ever use a volume pedal, compressor, maybe a/b switch or any other such thing to deal with that or should I just work it out in my technique more. As always I appreciate some advice from all you experts.

Comments

• Good clean volume pedals if you can find one can work well. I tried one from an electric keyboard a few years ago that had nice feel and the level changed consistently with pedal movement but I decided I really wouldnt use it. I willtry torecall the brand...used it was about 100 bucks.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    The best string brand in terms of G strings are argentines. I've tried Galis and the G's go dead in a day. Same thing happened when I tried Manouche tones.
    Here's the hack for the G string problem at least:

Email Savarez and explain your G strings always break and they will send you a pack or two of all G strings for free.

I had better luck using Google Translate and emailing them in French but I have 12 replacement G strings now.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Matt Henry wrote:
    Email Savarez and explain your G strings always break and they will send you a pack or two of all G strings for free.

Uh oh.... Look out Savarez, you're about to get bombed by emails !!
  • swingnationswingnation ✭✭
    Does anyone ever use a volume pedal, compressor, maybe a/b switch or any other such thing to deal with that or should I just work it out in my technique more.

Try the Boss GE-7 pedal. They're great cause you can adjust the EQ for lead tone and boost volume a bit when you hit it. You can usually find one on the used market for about $60. I seem to remember there was a thread about it on this forum a while back too.

J
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Is it possible to use a volume pedal if u mic your guitar?

Probably a dumb question but I suck with electronics.

thanks
  • Yes
  • BonesBones Moderator
    How would that be hooked up? I think the Boss pedal has a 1/4 inch jack but most mics have that 3 prong plug.
  • either use converters or much less chance of noise ...get a pedal with xlr in out