DjangoBooks.com

Learning gypsy jazz Just by learning the recordings?

leonard-pleonard-p New
edited August 2013 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 2
Hello! , so many gypsy jazzers around town tell me that all they did was listen to the records, learn the changes by ear, and memorize the solo's by ear, and now they can play pretty damn well if you ask me!, how do i go about doing this? which are the first tunes i should tackle in this approach? also is this a good approach ? ( my ear training is already fairly good, but the changes are dififcult for me to hear )

Comments

• Welcome aboard Leonard

If your ear has a hard time hearing the changes you may find learning only from listening a pretty big chsllenge.

IMO the best way to learn is the wayn that is easiest for you. Some transcribe, (which means to actually write the notes down on paper) some use transcriptions, some a combination. If you can find a coach or teacher, depending on your level, that can be a real help for many as well.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    To answer your question, the easiest song to start with is the one that is stuck in your head.

I would highly recommend at least looking at a chord chart before trying to learn it all by ear, it will really speed up the process. None of the greats started in a complete vacuum, people showed them chords and they learned from others.