DjangoBooks.com

AT 831B - boomy?

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Recording Posts: 1,471
Hey all -

I'm running into a weird thing when using my 831B and recording - a really harsh boominess that I don't think is in my playing - at least not what I hear with monitors and playing live. Just seems kind of whacked, and as I'm really trying to get down to the nitty-gritty of my rhythm playing (my only pursuit), this is pretty important. If it's me, man, I've got a long way to go. If it's a tendency with the lavalier, that would be good to know. FYI, on a gooseneck towards the treble side of the guitar, about 1/2" or so back from the bridge (Craig, I think this was your sweet spot?).

I've got a SM58, my wife sings with us from time to time. I no longer own an instrument mic (had an AKG C1000S - how's the C1000S "MK4" compare?), or the Ischell. Jay, didn't have the best luck with my MXL 603 before, but perhaps it would be different now, not sure (I have a Focusrite iTrack Solo). So, suggestions for a studio/recording mic welcome; as well as any thoughts on the 831B of course.

I should also mention this is all with my DG-300; that's about to change as I'm about a week away from taking possession of my new Shopis (MOdel F, D-Hole). No, not excited or anything....!
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• get someone to help you by moving the mic around while you are playing....you should be able to esily hear the differences due to mic placement. Took me quite a while on my Dunn to decide...maybe 15 minutes with help

if it is only evident when you are recording and not on your playback system...then there is something wrong with your playback system
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    get someone to help you by moving the mic around while you are playing....you should be able to esily hear the differences due to mic placement. Took me quite a while on my Dunn to decide...maybe 15 minutes with help

if it is only evident when you are recording and not on your playback system...then there is something wrong with your playback system

Thanks, Jay. I actually did move it around quite a bit, and tonally preferred the place (I think) Craig Bumgarner suggested. Too far back from the bridge and it felt kind of "processed," hard to describe. Sorry, don't know what you mean by "playback system." You mean, actually playing the recorded piece back, as opposed to listening to it, monitoring, while recording? Both, inside Audacity - didn't export any files to .wav or .mp3s...
    -Paul

• kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I have often seen mics aimed at the 12th fret. I remember Rino talking about pointing it back behind the bridge to avoid boom on d-holes, however. Do you have the mic in front of the hole aimed back, behind the tailpiece angled forward, or is it straight on? I would try putting it further back and aiming it forward, or moving it far ahead. Also, you could try a pop filter to see if it is wind related.
  • When you say it sounds boomy. is it that way in the monitor system when you are set to record or is it that way when you are playing back your recording.

In order to figure out what is happening one needs to know where it is happening. Is it the mic,/placement is it in the pre, is it in the recording process or is it in the [playback output section.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Guys, looks like some of the posts were lost from this thread during the recent forum hiccup. Thanks for your posts.

Kevin, thanks - but this is referring to my lavalier, on a gooseneck, not a condenser mic on a stand. The sweet spot for this lavalier seems to be just behind my hand position - I play just behind the soundhole, so behind that.

Matt, if you come back to this thread, you mentioned a couple condenser models - would you mind reposting?

Jay, I'll have to do it again as I don't quite recall. Staying acoustic, mostly - as I've a lot of recently discovered work to do!
    -Paul

Sure, I had just said that Jazmin and her brother get really good results with this cheap small diaphragm cardoid:
    http://proaudiotoys.com/adk-sc1-small-d ... -p-95.html
    https://vimeo.com/71496761

And that I've had good results (albeit with more bleed, understandably) with these little Naiant mics:
    http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-b ... em=NA-X-****
    http://www.naiant.com/naiant/microphones.html

I'm sure neither are exceptional. I just wanted to point out that there was no real need to stick to a lavalier as a solution for recording.
    Thanks, Matt. I missed the video on the first pass - what a cool, understated groove! These are your friends? Love it, very idyllic little clip on top of it!
    -Paul

Yeah, I liked it too. I met Jazmin at DIJ this year. Her brother wasn't there I don't think. I'm still not clear on how they get such a dry, quiet recording in that backyard pool/garden setting. I dig it though.
    Matt Henry wrote:
    I'm still not clear on how they get such a dry, quiet recording in that backyard pool/garden setting. I dig it though.

I was thinking the same thing. I dig it as well - love simplicity, done really well, these two just bring a smile. Another reason I rue missing this year's DIJ.
    -Paul